Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Distington Joint Signalbox

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Distington Joint Signalbox

Unread postby BRANSTYNO2SIGNALMAN » Wed Jan 4, 2017 7:45 pm

Hello fellow members
I am just new to the Signal Box Forum, I am currently doing research on the above Signalbox. and would be very grateful if any member can please help me obtain or know the whereabouts of the BR Signalling Diagram dated around 1962, the box closed on 16/9/1963 reduced to Ground Frame status from 1963, this was taken out of use on 1/6/1964.
Thank You
Allan
BRANSTYNO2SIGNALMAN
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Distington Joint Signalbox

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Feb 9, 2017 9:50 am

Greetings,

I have uploaded a diagram of the box to http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=1132 for you.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby BRANSTYNO2SIGNALMAN » Thu Feb 9, 2017 12:43 pm

John
That is a very nice surprise can I just say a big thank you for doing this,you have made my day.
Kind regards
Allan Beck
BRANSTYNO2SIGNALMAN
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Thu Feb 9, 2017 2:07 pm

The layout seems unusual in that the "back platform" and the Branch both have no running signals into or out of it, and no FPLs.
Presumably not used for any passenger services.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Bob Davies » Thu Feb 9, 2017 2:24 pm

According to Cobb, the Parton Branch closed in 1932, and the Iron Works Branch in 1938. All the stations in that area appear to have closed in or before 1931 (including Distington), so presumably by 1950 all we are looking at are goods line or sidings.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby BRANSTYNO2SIGNALMAN » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:58 pm

The line which was the Cleator &Workington Junction Rly from Siddick Junction to Cleator Moor remained open after the station closures in 1931 for Goods traffic only with the occasional excursions , it was also used as a diversionary route when the Whitehaven Tunnel was closed at night for relining the last train from Barrow terminated at Corkickle the light engine travelled back through Distington to Workington MPD, the Iron Works branch was kept open until around 1964 to serve the High Duty Alloys Factory, the sidings next to the back platform were used by a local coal merchant right up until closure of the line.
Allan
BRANSTYNO2SIGNALMAN
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby BRANSTYNO2SIGNALMAN » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:02 pm

Just a little more history there used to be a Signalbox called Distington Rowrah Branch Junction just to the south of Distington Joint Signalbox this controlled the branch to Rowrah known locally as Bairds Line this closed in 1938 and the box soon after.
Allan
BRANSTYNO2SIGNALMAN
Trainee
Trainee

Return to Signalling - historical