Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Exeter Goods Yard Box

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: Exeter Goods Yard Box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:32 pm

The comment about a pennanted rope was confirmed this morning after a chat with an Exwick enthusiast I know who clearly remembers the crossing. I asked about the gate and without prompting he described a length of rope being used for the other side. He also jogged my memory that the gate itself was there for many years after the lines and box closed,indeed one of the posts is there to this day. The buildings to the right of the box existed until approx the late 90s and I explored them many times. The Exeter AOM (ex driver) also pointed out that West's Down Goods Inner Home was still in use until resignalling complete with its routes. I was only a spotter at the time of the St David's being resignalled and was more interested in the peaks and 50s. If only I'd seen the light sooner!
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:39 am

Well,a productive day at work. Came across the retired section on a day out. Of course many knew of GYBs workings.
Indeed a pendant rope had been used on the Red Cow side of the crossing although this was also described as a length of rope. It was also stated that the signalman closed the gate and then stood with a red flag to stop the traffic. Towards the end of its days the only move to use the crossover was an up freight that terminated in Riverside yard. It's stopped after the crossing and the loco cut off and went to shed via the down goods. The pilot would come down from the yard,crossover at GYB and propel the consist into the yard. The box was regularly manned by green carded signalman. One chap remembered the box having bells but drew a blank on instruments.
The sidings over the road between the crossings were known as the cripple roads and were under the control of the shunters. Generally the under shunter stopped the traffic whilst the head shunter controlled the movement.
The gate itself remained in place for many years after closure swung back against the fence and indeed the gate post is there to this day. The buildings adjacent to the box were extent until the middle to late 90s. I myself explored them several times. Of course as many of you know West's Down Goods Inner Home survived until resignalling complete with its route indicator.
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:11 pm

Having spoke to a regular "apprentice" signalman in its last years the barriers at Red Cow were lowered by middle box for movements over the goods lines. As the 2 signals were not interlocked with the gate a flag or lamp was exhibited by the signalman to authorise movements over the crossing. The buildings next to the box were train crew relief cabins.
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical