Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Short sections

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Short sections

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:31 am

These signals were photographed at an open day at Old Oak Common depot in 1994:
Photo: 19/3/94. N L Cadge/John Hinson collection

Can anybody tell me whether they were a permanent feature there (for training perhaps) or had been set up specially for demonstration at the open day?

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Short sections

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:32 am

They look as though they have been recovered carefully, OO72-75 should tell us exactly what they used to do.
The plates, SPTs and subsidiaries may of course have been on signals other than the ones we now see.

They are on new specially built concrete bases, the aspect sequence is correct which suggests they are wired to an appropriate collection of relays rather than just a few switches somewhere. Would they have have taken such trouble for a mere open day event?
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:35 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote:They are on new specially built concrete bases, the aspect sequence is correct which suggests they are wired to an appropriate collection of relays rather than just a few switches somewhere. Would they have have taken such trouble for a mere open day event?

And those small concrete bases must have been securely fastened (probably cemented) to the surface below them, otherwise the merest puff of wind and the signals would have toppled.
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:59 pm

A former inmate of OOC advises that it was indeed a permanent training installation.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby scarpa » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:57 pm

I was gobsmacked to see a photo of the signals at Old Oak Common. Seeing the forum subject I expected it to be about short block sections. I can tell you a lot about the signals. It was myself that installed them personally.

How it come about and thinking about afterwards I did feel embarrassed. At the time the Paddington /Heathrow resignalling was in progress and my role was organising material trains and running them. A traction supervisor who assisted to ensure we always had traincrews asked if I could provide a signal. My imagination ran wild with a layout using every type of signal. I installed a loc and a control panel and designed it so every signal was operated by one relay only. The aspects were cascaded from the signal ahead. Relays were 930/003 s 12f/4b. Even flashing aspects were provided.

Drawings were in a old BR 204 ? notebook I just scribbled them out. One track circuit was provided. A couple of days my son Richard now at Bristol who was at school came along and helped to wire the loc. The signal parts were claimed from the recoveries. I would never want to throw good signalheads away and used to send them by rail to a mate of mine in South Wales.

When Fenchurch Street uni selector route indicators signals became worn out I sent two fibre route indicators fairly new which had platforms 1 to 4 to the S&T supervisor. A little bit of the GW on LNER area! The concrete bases weren't the largest, using the contractor's truck myself and Patsie would drop the short posts to site. Install on base and with an old ladder I would either pull up with a rope or carry up over my shoulder. Even AWS was provided and every type of signalplate except I. B.

Now to reveal Scarpa's identity known to many as Peter Armand !
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby JRB » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:49 pm

Unrelated to Armand Cardani I presume.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:22 am

Thanks, folks, for the answers.

Some detail that is evident from other photographs, which Peter A will know of course) is that the signal with feathers reads in three directions - OO72 can read to OO75 and also to another signal (only just visible in this picture) which has a stencil indicator on it. What wasn't obvious from still shots, though, was the presence of flashing distants so the info on that is appreciated.

All in all an excellent all-in-one group of training signals which was known (according to the ex-inmate mentioned above) as the "Signal Farm".

Best regards,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:51 am

Yes, agreed. Also note the different type of SPT on each signal. I have fond memories of faulting and maintaining the 'Uniselector' type on signal DM19, in the days when we used to be Dual Linemen.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:28 pm

Peter has kindly sent me some pictures of the control panel for the signals:
Photo: Peter Armand

And finally, the closest thing we can achieve with still shots with the flashing distants.

Many thanks to Peter.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Signalling - historical