Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

St Dennis Junction

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: St Dennis Junction

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:51 am

WR diagrams of the SRS are indeed often undated (for a good reason) but in this instance the diagram carries a date of c1953. Which leaves things as vague as ever as the Burngullow Home/Starter is shown as a three-posted bracket but is, I am sure, what Roy is referring to.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:58 am

John Hinson wrote:WR diagrams of the SRS are indeed often undated (for a good reason) but in this instance the diagram carries a date of c1953. Which leaves things as vague as ever as the Burngullow Home/Starter is shown as a three-posted bracket but is, I am sure, what Roy is referring to.John

If you look very carefully at the photograph I mentioned above, in the distance you can see the two separate signals I have mentioned. So that places the change between c1953 (SRS Diagram) and the photograph (October 1955).
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:56 pm

Thanks, I hadn't looked there but now I have and to be honest with my "not good" eyes I can't make the signal out at all! But I don't question what you say.

Best regards,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby roy hart » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:28 am

My point about the accuracy of the SRS diagram refers to the ground frame (5 levers and 1 point connection, not 6 with 2 points) and also the exact form of the odd slotted branch home (which is a minor point, I grant you). I know that the old slotted signal was renewed on 2 separate posts c1952 with short 'goods' arms, whereas 2 of the inner homes were renewed at about the same time with full-length 'passenger' arms. This has always struck me as odd.
A further oddity at St Dennis was the backing arm for the route indicator 17/24/25. I guess that there weren't many 5 foot twin-holed backing arms about.
roy hart
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:48 am

Do you happen to know how the other points were controlled, Roy? I have a lot of conflicting information between my own records and the SRS diagram and I suspect in some cases neither are correct.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby roy hart » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 am

Each pair of points in the yard (i.e. a crossover or a point plus catchpoint) was controlled by a neat little lever with catch handle, connected to the points by old-style tubular rodding. None of these points was interlocked with the box or ground frame. Points operated in this way were: reception siding on Retew branch, connection from down (Gaverigan) siding to Drinnick (falsely attached to the ground frame on the SRS diagram) , signal box end of Drinnick reception line and a crossover between the two branches.
roy hart
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:58 am

Ineresting! My "1966" plan (which may be a tad earlier, it seems) does show them as such but as released by the train staff(s) or token(s), which is presumably also a red herring.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Wed Mar 1, 2017 8:41 pm

I have a 1960 version of the SB Diagram. Currently having some problems trying to post it up here so if anybody would like a copy then please drop me a PM with an email address.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Mar 1, 2017 8:53 pm

S&TEngineer wrote:I have a 1960 version of the SB Diagram. Currently having some problems trying to post it up here so if anybody would like a copy then please drop me a PM with an email address.

Yes please Chris, you have my email address.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical