Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Trevethin Junction - Gwenalt working

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Trevethin Junction - Gwenalt working

Unread postby GarthTilt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:11 pm

I have a few K2 weekly notices for the 1962-4 period and found the following unusual item in section 'B'.

Until further notice Between Trevethin Junction and Gwenalt (near Gwenalt). Up line, continuously, Landslip adjacent to Up Line. 'The Up Line has been slued towards the Down line and Up and Down trains cannot pass each other. When an Up train is required to proceed the Down line is closed to traffic and vice versa.'
NOTE: trainmen to exercise special care and keep a sharp look out.

The earliest K2 I have is K2/631 14-20 April 1962. It was still in K2/45/63 30 Nov. - 6 Dec. 1963, but not in K2/11/64 14 - 20 March 1964.

This was a considerable period. Trevethin Junction to Gwenalt was worked double line absolute block, passenger services ceased 1941. During the above period Gwenalt box was closed 26.8.63. and the block section extended Trevethin Junction - Abersychan & Talywain.

There is no mention of key token or Pilot working. No doubt there was never a serious incident! Can anyone improve on the dates and offer any further comments?
GarthTilt
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Trevethin Junction - Gwenalt working

Unread postby John Webb » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:03 pm

I can't find either of these places in any of the four railway atlases I have to hand. I'd be most grateful if you could tell me where they are.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby GarthTilt » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:47 pm

John, Trevethin junction was on the WR's Eastern Valley line from Newport. It was the junction for the exGW Blaenavon LL Branch and the line to Abersychan & Talywain which was the junction for the GW line to Golynos Junction and the ex. LMS line to Brynmawr via Blaenavon HL. Trevethin junction was just after Pontypool (Crane Street) station which was closed to passengers with the withdrawal of the Newport - Blaenavon service in April 1962.
GarthTilt
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Webb » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:16 am

Thanks - had worked out the approximate area from the mention of Abersychen late last night. I assume from looking at maps of the area that the line concerned was the one that, going northwards, swung to the west, then north and then east to get round a hill before resuming a northward course again. Was the landslip in this area, perhaps?
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby GarthTilt » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:57 am

Yes John you are on the right track. There was no mileage shown for the slip which was at Gwenalt about 1 mile from Trevethin Junction. Curiously there was no temporary speed restriction shown in the K2.
GarthTilt
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical