Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

BR(W) Upper Quadrant Disc Signal

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: BR(W) Upper Quadrant Disc Signal

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:35 pm

Just a bizarre thought , especially from a strapper to the site such as i, but could we be looking a bit too close to home. Perhaps such a disc could have ended up north of the border with other Reading products?
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:23 am

Gary the Guard wrote:I suppose the GW/GC joint line would be a good place to start looking for such a disc.

I don't think so. That line was originally signalled by the GWR (apart from Haddenham & Ashendon Junction). Although the section country side of West Wycombe was maintained by the GCR/LNER and some upper quadrant signals appeared there, the WR had no hesitation in renewing these as lower quadrants while it had control of the whole line after nationalisation.

Only on the wholly-GCR line, from Marylebone to Northolt Junction (exclusive) does the WR seem to have installed upper quadrant running signals when renewals were required. I agree with John that if any funny-looking UQ discs had appeared, someone would have noticed. Of course, the line later went to the LMR, but they never got round to renewing anything, as far as I know.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby Russell Maiden » Thu Mar 30, 2017 3:02 pm

Gary the Guard wrote:Having trawled the internet the only photo of Portishead showing a disc ive found shows what is certainly a lower quadrant one on the run round adjacent to the colour light platform starters. Can't make out it's number on the SRS diagram. Having looked at the previous posts about BR (W)) UQ signals from 2014 we have an UQ western shunt arm on the SDR at Bishops Bridge. If i remember correctly it is ex Neasden. The main castings are BR(W). Will try to remember to photograph it when I'm there again.

Will these do? https://www.flickr.com/photos/69499916@N08/albums/72157678714542373

All taken in September 2006.
Russell Maiden
Russell Maiden
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:40 pm

Thanks Russell,these show it nicely. I'm signalman there Sunday. I will look for the casting details.
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:47 am

Just a minute . . .

What are we talking about here? I thought the subject was "BR(W) Upper Quadrant Disc Signal" and not signal arms. We have discussed signal arms at length (no pun intended) before.

The opening post specifically refers to "independent disc". I cannot see any such things in the images posted/linked to.

I repeat that I worked at Neasden South and am not aware of any upper quadrant disc signals existing there.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical