Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Truro West.

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Truro West.

Unread postby Gary the Guard » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:29 pm

I've recently seen a picture of Truro West showing the layout at that end of the station. One thing stands out and that is the short center pivot distant signal attached by a small bracket to the main post. The main arm reads from the Up Branch platform to Down Main. The distant arm is West's no.18 and reads towards the Up Main. It does not lead to a main arm,the next signal is selected disc no.40. Given the incline towards Penwithers is the purpose of this distant to repeat the aspect of the disc to aid the driver during a shunt move from the platform? Is this situation comparable to Exeter City Basin example?
Gary the Guard
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Truro West.

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:10 pm

According to George Pryer's diagrams, no. 18 at Truro West was a backing signal, in the position you describe. As such it would reflect normal GWR practice for signalling moves out of a platform in the wrong direction.

Any chance of seeing the picture?
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby Gary the Guard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:40 pm

It's definitely a short centre pivot distant. Sadly cannot supply the photo as have no photo host but it is in Peter Grays excellent book Steam in Cornwall on page 45.
Gary the Guard
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Gary the Guard wrote:It's definitely a short centre pivot distant. Sadly cannot supply the photo as have no photo host but it is in Peter Grays excellent book Steam in Cornwall on page 45.

Sorry, no :-)

I have the book and I am looking at the picture now - it is definitely a backing arm with two holes.

What I think has happened is that, with the angle of the shot, the main post comes into view down behind the LH half of the left hand hole, making it look - at a glance - as if it the arm has a chevron end, but it does not. Can I suggest you look more closely please?
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Gary the Guard » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:03 pm

Yes Chris,I stand corrected. Having now enlarged the picture it is indeed a short arm backing signal. As you say the angle can throw one plus the yellow hue to the arm together with the lens in the R/H hole.
Gary the Guard
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical