Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Cemetery signalbox

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Cemetery signalbox

Unread postby scarpa » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:14 am

During a film of steam locos on the King s Cross line there were excellent shots of mechanical signalling and associate signalboxes. Cemetery signalbox was shown and I remember internal railway publications referring the box as Cemetery Junction and I was sure in latter years the box had a name board with junction on it.Can anyone comfirm this?
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Cemetery signalbox

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:04 am

Not to my knowledge. I'm pretty sure this came off the box after closure:
Photo: John Hinson 19/4/17.

There were also some boxes near Hartlepool at Cemetery Junctions, although in true NER manner the "junction" was not used in the box name so they were "Cemetery North" etc. But maybe the word junction was used in associated publications concerning those boxes.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby GeoffSmith » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:29 am

scarpa wrote:During a film of steam locos on the King s Cross line there were excellent shots of mechanical signalling and associate signalboxes. Cemetery signalbox was shown and I remember internal railway publications referring the box as Cemetery Junction and I was sure in latter years the box had a name board with junction on it.Can anyone comfirm this?

London Railway Record has two long articles, in issues 21/254-260 and 59/182-193.
The first has nothing on signalling, but the second, by Peter Kay, has extensive coverage.
No mention of "Junction".
GeoffSmith
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mackay » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:56 pm

The LNER timber nameboards at the Cemetery junctions at Hartlepool just had "West" "North" etc without the word "Junction". A quick check of the later NER WTT appendixes shows that they used the same naming. Just to be awkward, the 1892 appendix has "Cemetery Junction (South)" etc. No idea whether this appeared on the nameboards in use at that time (they would be the blue-and-white ones). Nor have I ever seen a photo showing the brown-and-cream ones which replaced them in the early 1900s, and which were in turn replaced by the LNER ones on the end walls in GNR style.
Neil
Mackay
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Mon May 8, 2017 1:36 pm

I knew the London area Cemetery Box fairly well, and have never seen or heard of it referred to with 'Junction' included, nor IIRC, did the relevant block shelf instrumentation nameplates in the adjacent boxes mention 'Junction'; certainly the box's diagram merely stated "CEMETERY".

The GNR provided a fairly short-lived (c1870s/'80s) funeral train service from London to the Great Northern London Cemetery near New Southgate, running from the special station on the Up side embankment at Belle Isle, north of Gasworks Tunnel (Kings Cross), to a cemetery station near the GNLC, whose platform was very near Cemetery Box's site, but I believe that that was served by a separate line off, and parallel with, the main line, northwards from New Southgate, so no 'junction' for that at Cemetery.

I recall that that the nameboards on each side of the box were not an exact match, with that featured in the photo from John almost certainly being from the south end of this box, and other published photographic evidence showing the north end board with an about 1-foot blank space after "CEMETERY", where it once bore the second word "UP" from the GNR days when the box there only signalled the Up lines and there was a separate Cemetery Down box nearby.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to Signalling - historical