Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Chinley panel

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Chinley panel

Unread postby Stevoid » Thu May 11, 2017 10:10 pm

On the 1982 BR panel at Chinley (this has now been replaced, hence putting this in 'Historical'), there was an unusual (to me) set of indicators around the block bell to New Mills South Junction. They can be seen in the photograph linked to below, to the right of the two block instruments.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llangollen_signalman/34550207866/in/album-72157682014377226/ - image taken by Kevin Balmer, on Flickr with his permission.

They don't seem to be a train describer, so what are they? I assume the black button at the bottom of the outlined box is the block bell to New Mills, but what are the various indications and buttons directly above?

A further but unrelated question: what are the lights below each individual points switch?
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Chinley panel

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu May 11, 2017 10:31 pm

They are train describers, but rather pointless ones. This is the New Mills South Junction end:
Photo: N L Cadge/John Hinson collection, 22/6/91, cropped from a larger picture

They are still there.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Mark Lamb » Fri May 12, 2017 6:28 pm

I expect the white lights below the point switches will probably be the locked / free indicators. If so, then when a route is set through the points in question, the light will go out to show they cannot be moved by the point key. The light illuminates when the points become free as the route releases following passage of the train, or after time when the route is cancelled (or immediately, depending on the type of approach locking employed).

Hope this helps,

Mark.
Mark Lamb
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sat May 13, 2017 9:18 am

Mark Lamb wrote:I expect the white lights below the point switches will probably be the locked / free indicators. If so, then when a route is set through the points in question, the light will go out to show they cannot be moved by the point key. The light illuminates when the points become free as the route releases following passage of the train, or after time when the route is cancelled (or immediately, depending on the type of approach locking employed).

That was my first thought but if you look carefully you can see that two routes are set but none of the lights are out. I suspect they are lock lights but that they only detect the track circuit clear over the points concerned.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Mark Lamb » Sat May 13, 2017 2:22 pm

Quite right. Well spotted! Perhaps they work the other way round - illuminated when route set. The two routes set are 1) from 157 along the Down Main, and 2) from 165 along the Down and Up Goods. Assuming 157 is the Home from Edale, then the route reads up to 151 auto via 355, 354, 351 & 350, and will also lock traps 353 & 352. Also assuming 165 is the Home from Peak Forest, then that route reads up to 153. Though not shown, the two single leads off picture will be 356 & 357, which will also be locked.

From my perspective they are 'wrong way round', i.e. blown lamp means points not locked (though of course they would be in reality).

Regards,

Mark
Mark Lamb
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Stevoid » Mon May 15, 2017 11:31 am

John Hinson wrote:They are train describers, but rather pointless ones. This is the New Mills South Junction end:
Photo: N L Cadge/John Hinson collection, 22/6/91, cropped from a larger picture

They are still there.

John

Ah; thank you!

Do they effectively say "there are two trains in section towards you"? If so, that does seem rather pointless...

Does anyone know why they were provided?
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Stevoid » Mon May 15, 2017 11:34 am

Mark Lamb wrote:Quite right. Well spotted! Perhaps they work the other way round - illuminated when route set. The two routes set are 1) from 157 along the Down Main, and 2) from 165 along the Down and Up Goods. Assuming 157 is the Home from Edale, then the route reads up to 151 auto via 355, 354, 351 & 350, and will also lock traps 353 & 352. Also assuming 165 is the Home from Peak Forest, then that route reads up to 153. Though not shown, the two single leads off picture will be 356 & 357, which will also be locked.

From my perspective they are 'wrong way round', i.e. blown lamp means points not locked (though of course they would be in reality).

Regards,

Mark

This seems to make sense; does seem a bit backwards, but has been done like that elsewhere: I think E10k interlockings provide a red 'Locked' light as well.
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat May 20, 2017 8:10 am

Stevoid wrote:Does anyone know why they were provided?

Presumably when the new panel box opened at Chinley?

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stevoid » Mon May 22, 2017 9:33 am

John Hinson wrote:
Stevoid wrote:Does anyone know why they were provided?

Presumably when the new panel box opened at Chinley?

John

I assumed that was when; I was asking what the reason for their provision was.
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical