Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Torre Signal Box for sale

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Torre Signal Box for sale

Unread postby John Webb » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:13 pm

See http://www.railstaff.uk/2017/05/25/former-railway-station-signal-box-85000/ for information - apparently has planning permission for conversion to holiday home! (Picked up from S&TEngineer's post in 'Current' re Cornwall Resignalling.)
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Re: Torre Signal Box for sale

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:54 pm

As a former member of the Friends of the Absolute Block (aka Torre Signal Box Group) in about 2003 a few of us went to the auction in London where BRB (Residuary) sold the box after they refused to renew our lease. It sold for not far off its now lower estimate. We thought it would be only a few grand as we were going to try and buy it. Sadly we lost out to greedy developers.
Not much has happened to it since other than being boarded up. The frame to the best of my knowledge is still inside.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:01 pm

Ashley Hill wrote: Not much has happened to it since other than being boarded up. The frame to the best of my knowledge is still inside.

Sounds unlikely unless the description is misleading. "The ground floor is the living area, the first floor has a bedroom with en-suite facilities and a landing and the second floor has an open-plan kitchen, living and dining area."
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:45 pm

No,apart from being boarded up it is still as we left it inside only with 14 years deterioration ,unless they've worked miracles in the last two weeks since I last passed For a while the boards were removed from the basement windows. When the local hooligans started breaking the glass (a problem we used to suffer with) it was possible to see up into the locking room,still untouched. It has only recently be reboarded up again. The electric box by the entrance door is at a jaunty angle leaning back towards the basement door. As I said the frame is still there. Whilst it's a shame it's never going to be restored as a signal box at least the building will servive.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Danny252 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:17 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote:
Ashley Hill wrote: Not much has happened to it since other than being boarded up. The frame to the best of my knowledge is still inside.

Sounds unlikely unless the description is misleading. "The ground floor is the living area, the first floor has a bedroom with en-suite facilities and a landing and the second floor has an open-plan kitchen, living and dining area."

The newspaper article is indeed misleading - they've taken what's clearly listed on the auctioneer's site as "Proposed Accommodation" (i.e. what I presume is accepted under planning permission) and made it sound it as if it's the current situation. The photos on the auctioneer's site clearly show boarded up windows and, yes, lever frame still in place: http://www.cliveemson.co.uk/properties/194/128/
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:59 pm

As it is a listed building I wonder how removal of the lever frame will be justified to English Heritage. I can understand its use being approved in preference to dereliction but I would suspect the lever frame and any other original equipment will be required to be safely stored if allowed to be removed.

https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/ ... ry/1414397

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:17 am

It's quite sad seeing those internal shots,far from its heyday of preservation. Our highlights included regular visits by various BR management keen to show they're guests how mechanical signal boxes worked and letting them play without interfering with traffic. Several route learners believed we were still an operational box...!! During our Torre station 150 celebrations we played host to local MPs,school parties and the press. One of our members built a simulator panel which acted as adjacent the signal boxes and operated the track circuits and block equiptment so the box could be realistically worked. The frame was interlocked to its fullest incarnation thanks to trainee BR locking fitters doing it as a training project. We had full electrical interlocking too. It was the final break in where all the instruments were taken that finally finished us off. We had had several over the years of thankfully minor effect plus also vandalism like graffiti and smashed windows. The member who's name the lease was in (which favoured us greatly) finally became disenchanted and gave up the lease. When another member tried to have the lease transferred over to him BR Residuary refused and auctioned off the box ending over 15 years of pleasure.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Wed Jul 5, 2017 9:29 am

Torre box did not sell at auction. It is now for sale at £97.500.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby micron » Wed Jul 5, 2017 10:52 am

I drove past it at the weekend, it does look a little sad from the outside
micron
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:23 am

Just to update this thread,for those with deep pockets the price has dropped. Torre is now available for £85.000.
http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercial-p ... 23380.html
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical