Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Dalmeny South Junction & South Queensferry

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Dalmeny South Junction & South Queensferry

Unread postby alancolq » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:55 pm

Hello all - I am trying to find photographs of Dalmeny South Junction signal box, closed in the late 1930s when control was transferred to Dalmeny North Junction (which was then renamed simply Dalmeny Junction).

Also, on the South Queensferry branch, I believe the original signal box at South Queensferry (located immediately on the eastern side, almost abutting The Loan road overbridge on the south side of the running line) was replaced during WW1 when a refuge siding was converted into a goods loop to cope with increased wartime traffic to Port Edgar naval base. I was told (by my late grandfather!) that the new signal box was located more or less opposite Lillybank House, a large stone dwelling house still standing on Stoneycroft Road, but there is no sign of it visible today. The site of the original signal box can be still be seen - there is a clearly visible recess in the steep embankment.

If anyone is aware of any photographs of the above I would be most grateful - very much on my "bucket list"!!

Thanks & regards,
Alan Colquhoun
alancolq
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Dalmeny South Junction & South Queensferry

Unread postby Corrour » Tue Jul 4, 2017 5:43 pm

Hi Alan,

Can't help exactly, though I do have a photo that purports to be Dalmeny Sth. But I do have signalling diagrams for South Queensferry (Halt) 1924 & Dalmeny Sth 1929. If you'd like copies drop me a PE with your email.

regards,

Robert
Corrour
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical