Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

My grandfather

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

My grandfather

Unread postby SheilaC » Sat Jul 1, 2017 1:11 pm

Hello, I am new on here and I found you by googling Llandudno Junction signal box where my grandfather was a signalman from 1926 for abt 25 years. Can I post his photo on here? He previously worked at Bethesda Junction and Llanfairfechan amongst others. I don't think anyone will know him though he died in 1966!

I'm on here to learn more about what it was like to be a signalman. It was his life's work and I know he loved it.
Thanks!
SheilaC
Trainee
Trainee

Re: My grandfather

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sat Jul 1, 2017 6:03 pm

Hello and welcome to our forum. You can post photographs here but you need to follow these rules: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=35
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Sat Jul 1, 2017 6:06 pm

Welcome to the site Sheila. Llandudno Junction was one of the most important boxes built by the London & North Western Railway, a company which was amalgamated with others in 1923 to form the London Midland & Scottish. Your grandfather would therefore have been quite senior to work there, and would have had to work his way up through less important places such as those you mention.

To get a basic understanding of how the trains were signalled from one signalbox to the next, I suggest you read this part of the website
https://signalbox.org/block.shtml, particularly under the heading Absolute Block.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Webb » Sun Jul 2, 2017 8:06 am

Welcome also! A number of preserved ("Heritage") railways have demonstration signal boxes open to the public, and there are a few preserved signal boxes where you can also get 'hands-on' experience of what it used to be like in a manually-operated box. Have a look at http://www.heritage-railways.com/index.php where hopefully you will find something within reach of where you live.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Bob Davies » Sun Jul 2, 2017 2:12 pm

Welcome likewise.

If you are still local to the North Wales area, a place to visit and see what being a signalman was like is the Railway Age in Crewe. Exeter West Signalbox at the Centre is open and manned every weekend when the Centre is open and we give demonstrations of working a large manual signalbox. You will be most welcome.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical