Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Swansea Vale Railway

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Swansea Vale Railway

Unread postby GarthTilt » Thu Jul 6, 2017 2:25 pm

Whenever a new book appears on branch/secondary lines I always look to see what information is put in on operating and signalling. Rarely is the subject thoroughly researched and especially the 1960's when more happened in that decade than ever before. An attractive new book on the above lines still leaves the vexing question as to when various boxes were closed and what method of working was in use at the time. As an example, when did Swansea Station box close? Supplementary Operating Instructions for the period suggest Jan. 1959. It would appear that when the new bridge linking the SV line to the VofN line at Eastern Depot was opened in connection with the 'Swansea East Side Road Scheme' it was a single Goods Line to Harbour Branch Sidings worked by Interlocking levers between there and Swansea Eastern Depot in the Spring of 1962. Can anyone confirm this? Also the closure dates of Morriston North, Upper Bank Sidings and Six Pit Junction are also outstanding.
GarthTilt
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Swansea Vale Railway

Unread postby JG Morgan » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:20 pm

It's a long time since you asked the question, but as no-one has answered I have consulted Cooke:

Morriston North was renamed Morriston East No 2 - possibly Jan 1950 to match the renaming of the station, but definitely by September 1952. Closed 22 Feb 1965, i.e. about six months before closure of the line north thereof.

Upper Bank Sidings signal box closed 1961 (rather vague). Six Pit Junction signal box closed c June 1961.

Swansea Station (i.e. St Thomas) closed 27 May 1968, the date on which the line to Upper Bank was singled.

I shall look at the Eastern Dock link another time.

Full reference:
Track Layout Diagrams of the GWR and BR WR, Section 53 Swansea Vale Line (Midland Railway), RA Cooke, 1991.
JG Morgan
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Swansea Vale Railway

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Apr 1, 2018 11:56 am

The following post was made by GarthTilt but was accidentally lost during upgrade work:

Unfortunately the R.A.Cooke section 53 is misleading. I have now found that Swansea Station box last appeared in the 'List of Signal Boxes' in the summer 1958 WTT 9.6.-14.9.1958. So the Supplementary Operating Instructions deleting all particulars dated Jan. 1959 is rather late! This was not unusual for sec 'D' items to be amended later. When Harbour Branch Sidings SB closed on 7.5.1967. the existing 'Permissive Single Goods Line' to Eastern Depot worked by interlocking levers became the Down Main line from Upper Bank Junction with the existing parallel Reception Siding 1 became the Up Main line. So from this date Double Line Permissive Block was installed between Eastern Depot and Upper Bank Junction. One existing connection hand worked and padlocked was retained at Harbour Branch giving access to St. Thomas Yard. The date for singling the line to Upper Bank (27.5.68)is correct but not the same date for Swansea Station SB closure.
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Signalling - historical