Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Mystery Disc signal at Kings Cross previous layout

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: Mystery Disc signal at Kings Cross previous layout

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:24 pm

scarpa wrote: " Are there any plans available showing post Kings Cross layout available? .... "
Replies to this may depend on exactly what you mean by post Kings Cross scarpa.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby scarpa » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:52 pm

The layout operated from the O.C.S. panel in the new powerbox .When did the Southern Spur G.F. get abolished? Was this when the O C S panel was operating. Would anyone have access to the Engineering notices which Section C would reveal when the signal was installed.Any photos of the OCS panel might help. I have a contact to ring tomorrow who may shed some light on the disc signal.Although the signal protects number 8 points as it is near the boundary with LUL perhaps there was a series of engineering worksites around the time they were upgrading and carrying out electrification along the Thames Link lines and tampers accessed by means of the Up Moorgate and came back wrong road which may have called for signal protection .There was a gauge restriction in up Moorgate tunnel so any loco larger than a class 31 was banned.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:24 pm

scarpa wrote:When did the Southern Spur G.F. get abolished?

Earlier in this discussion I wrote:
John Hinson wrote:I really can't think of any benefit in placing a signal there (or retaining the LOS Board) as I don't think there would be any reason for a set back move after the South Spur was abolished in 1971.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby scarpa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:40 pm

I drew a blank with my former S&T colleague about the Disc signal. He tells me He will be meeting former signalmen in the near future ,they might have some information on its creation and use.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:26 pm

scarpa wrote:I drew a blank with my former S&T colleague about the Disc signal. He tells me He will be meeting former signalmen in the near future ,they might have some information on its creation and use.
Would that be a Mr. M. O. scarpa ? If yes I will probably also see him, and them, at a certain regular event in a few months' time.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby scarpa » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:30 pm

Hi Steve ,It would be Mo you will be seeing , with all the experience present should come up with the reason the Disc signal made a late appearance at the Cross and was it ever used? A pint on me who comes up with the answer! Will you be attending John ? Many of the signalmen you know will be there.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:57 am

This is best viewed original size..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/15990737357/

It doesn't show your disc but i have now seen it in quite a number of photo's..
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:27 am

Richard Pike wrote:This is best viewed original size..

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pwayowen/15990737357/

It doesn't show your disc but i have now seen it in quite a number of photo's..

That plan is for the old box, and has the South Spur in place.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 pm

A friend of mine thinks the disc would have been provided to provide much-needed engine accomodation during the remodelling of the station throat during the transition from old layout on the temporary panel to the new layout on the new panel. In stages, large chunks of layout were taken out of use and at one point this included the passenger loco.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby StevieG » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:22 am

John Hinson wrote:A friend of mine thinks the disc would have been provided to provide much-needed engine accomodation during the remodelling of the station throat during the transition from old layout on the temporary panel to the new layout on the new panel. In stages, large chunks of layout were taken out of use and at one point this included the passenger loco.

John
That sounds like good reasoning John ; a very probable justification.

The remodelling involved two major stages, of which the western, or 'departure', side was the first, taking out of use everything from 'passenger Loco' and 'the milk yard' across to approximately platform 6 (1970s and current numbering), except that, for at least the majority of these weeks, the old signalling for the Down 'Met.' (Moorgate) was retained on the IFS panel, using the route(s) from that line's platform 14 to the Down Slow in Gasworks Tunnel via the former 'E' Route, with all points secured, to enable the a.m. and p.m. 'peak' trains from Moorgate to continue running; with, I believe, that route under Possession at all other times to enable the works to progress unhindered.
So an additional (off-'peak'), signalled, loco standing space on the east ('arrival') side would've doubtless been invaluable.

This potential reason for its introduction has made me think of another possible source of info. about the disc signal in question. I'll post again with any further detail discovered.
Last edited by StevieG on Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby scarpa » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:03 pm

Looks like we are there! It will now cost me two pints one for John and Stevie G. They will be in the post.
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:23 pm

Bad news : My imagined 'source' of some confirmation of this disc (a colour photo or two which I took in the temporary IFS setup, when the Departure side was already closed for remodelling) has proved to be of little help.
The best one of these for this purpose is a photo taken at an angle of the diagram, but looking left from the panel's right-hand end, so the York Road bit is rather small and indistinct.
The only thing that can be gleaned is that the disc does seem to be just about discernible as still being there then, directly on the opposite side of 8 points (Up Slow-Platform 1) from the "Dead End" siding exit disc, 10.
But it's impossible to read a number for the 'mystery' disc.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical