Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

TS&T

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: TS&T

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:37 pm

GeoffSmith wrote:An example on a Brighton Radial.
http://i.imgur.com/VXpqbnp.jpg

Yes, but as I mentioned above, your example on the LB&SC was discussed above and that is a different circumstance (where signalmen might require to see it) to the general arrangements being discussed here. I must admit that my first thought on reading about that here was that said receptacle could well be be in the cab, it really isn't clear either way.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby MRFS » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:29 pm

There were sockets on the outsides of England engines on the Festiniog. When I'm on a decent machine I'll put the url up to a picture of Palmerston at Minffordd in the 1870s.

I must admit to being interested in a definite date for the introduction of tickets.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:46 am

MRFS wrote:I must admit to being interested in a definite date for the introduction of tickets.

Yes, and I am also curious to know whether the ubiquitous "Driver renders himself liable to dismissal if ..." clause was in the rules at the outset or if it dates from standardisation by the RCH. It seems unnecessary to make such threats in an era when company servants could be sacked pretty much at will for relatively trivial offences such as not saying Sir to those in authority, and the rule book writers evidently considered it unnecessary include it for other safety-critical rules such as disobeying signals.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby GeoffSmith » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:50 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote:
MRFS wrote:I must admit to being interested in a definite date for the introduction of tickets.

Yes, and I am also curious to know whether the ubiquitous "Driver renders himself liable to dismissal if ..." clause was in the rules at the outset or if it dates from standardisation by the RCH. It seems unnecessary to make such threats in an era when company servants could be sacked pretty much at will for relatively trivial offences such as not saying Sir to those in authority, and the rule book writers evidently considered it unnecessary include it for other safety-critical rules such as disobeying signals.

The LNWR Regulations quoted by Galton in 1859, which I'm hoping to confirm dated from 1857, contain no reference to dismissal.
The earliest (LBSCR) I have, dated 1/12/1871, do.
GeoffSmith
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:33 pm

Thanks Geoff
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical