Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

GWR Linemans Cabins

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

GWR Linemans Cabins

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:52 pm

Were GWR signal linemans cabins built new to order using standard box parts or parts from closed signal boxes? For example, the one at Totnes was often speculated to be the top of the original Ashburton Jct box (it wasn't). That at Teignmouth was credited in John Francis's book as built with second hand parts. Others, such as Plymouth North Rd and Wellington, appeared to be of a standard design. That adjacent to Liskeard was different but still looked box like.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: GWR Linemans Cabins

Unread postby JRB » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:22 am

Huts, not cabins. Many of them were obviously designed as such and not former s.b.s. Others do indeed seem to have used available box tops. There is a whole field of study there with much information lost forever already. My photographic records are mainly of the "Fal Vale No.3 installers' gang in front of the West box lineman's hut" or "Fred Bloggs in Mallingford telecomms. linemen's hut" format.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:34 pm

Here is a photo taken of the Totnes example by Roger Winnen on the Cornish Railway website. Typical of such an example. http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.u ... 1_orig.jpg
Next to it is the concrete lamp hut where I spent many a hour polishing and trimming lamps,first as a schoolboy then railman.
Here is a picture of what could be the Liskeard linemans hut,again from the Cornish Railway website by Chis Osment. If it isn't what was this building used for?
http://www.cornwallrailwaysociety.org.u ... 0_orig.jpg
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:03 pm

Silly me then, not to have gone and asked about that when I took the picture all those years ago.....:-)
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby roy hart » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 am

I am aware of plenty of examples of boxes which became lineman's huts/ S & T huts. Inevitably, I suppose, the Signal department used redundant S & T components for their huts, so they all looked like signal boxes.
Real boxes which became S & T huts that I know of 'down west' are Truro lineman's hut (old Truro A box).Tavistock (old Tavistock B, I think). Par signal depot had former Blackwater West Junction and Pinnock Tunnel among its collection of huts. The remaining huts at Par just looked like signal boxes because they had type 7 5-pane windows etc. At Teignmouth S & T the main building looked like a signal box, but wasn't.
roy hart
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:55 am

Cheer Roy. Photos of the Blackwater boxes seem hard to come by. It's interesting to hear West became a hut,likewise Pinnock Tunnel. Photos anyone?
It's just fascinating to find out that long abolished boxes or parts of still existed years after closure at different locations.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby roy hart » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:22 am

Blackwater West led quite a life: it was a type 25 wooden box. It started life at Scorrier, was displaced from there when a new box was built, was then re-erected at Blackwater West. After closure there it went to Par. I remember it there, but curse myself for not bothering to photograph it. It was demolished when Par S & T was moved to St Blazey, about 1967. Blackwater East was type 7; Blackwater North type 27. Some interesting photos of Blackwater are to be found on the Cornwall Railway Society website.
roy hart
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:20 am

West Ruislip had a lineman's hut made of a box top which I always assumed, with no evidence at all, must have come from Denham East Loop. It survived until the late eighties, but I don't seem to have a picture, alas.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:40 am

It is possible that such cabins came from far away, perhaps "bitzers" supplied from the S&T headquarters - the Midland Railway followed similar practice and many cannot be related to anywhere in their vicinity. For example - a Midland cabin existed at Acton Central where no Midland boxes would ever have existed. There seemed to be a lot of small GCR/MS&LR cabins where they shouldn't be too.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Whilst Reading could no doubt knock huts out for a pastime using standard parts ,it would make sense to recycle old boxes or parts. After all, some had only had a short life so timberwise would still be in good condition.
As JRB said, there is a whole new field of study here with much information already lost.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical