Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Redundant signal posts

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Redundant signal posts

Unread postby colin1501 » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:54 pm

Normally, when resignalling is carried out, redundant semaphore posts are removed fairly quickly, but there are some curious exceptions. Two that I'm aware of in Sussex are the former down distant at Faygate and up distant at Lyminster Crossing. The former is a lattice post, and the latter a concrete one, and both are still standing, complete with ladder, lamp, and balance weight, more than three decades after they were taken out of use. Does anyone know if this was just forgetfulness at the time, or was there some specific reason why these posts were left in place?

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Redundant signal posts

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:46 pm

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... -survivor/

Saw this article and thought of your topic. As to whether it's still there is hard to tell from the window at line speed. When I'm back from leave I'll try and ask one of the more interested footplate crews to spot it. Having thought about it I expect if it had survived it was probably removed during the track lowering carried out recently for any future electrification through Box.
Ashley Hill
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Redundant signal posts

Unread postby colin1501 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 5:48 am

Fascinating picture, Ashley, and an amazing survivor. Like the ones I mentioned though, it also begs the question - why?

Colin
colin1501
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical