Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Datchworth signal box

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Datchworth signal box

Unread postby 31422 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:56 am

We've been staying at the wonderful heritage site at Bere Ferrers and playing with Pinhoe box and the demonstration sidings.

In the yard box (housed in a wagon) is part of the frame from Kew East Jc and a box diagram from Datchworth. Chris Grove who owns the site said he had no knowledge of there ever being a box at Datchworth. The station there is Watton at Stone. The platforms are shown on the Datchworth diagram but not named. It looks a curious set up and shows a double distant arm at (I think) the Langley Jc end.

Has anyone any knowledge of the history of Datchworth box, if indeed there ever was one. I've looked in the 1960 Sectional Appendix and the 1947 one and can find no mention. The few books I have that cover the area also came up blank, as did an internet search!!

Many thanks
Dafydd
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Datchworth signal box

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:36 am

Sounds like a training or theoretical exercise diagram.
There were some sort of original plans for a Datchworth station, a bit nearer Langley than Watton I think, as years ago the formation was notably wider, with a shallow cutting on the Down side, along there for a distance which would've matched a rural station (probably impossible to discern now, the way that lineside greenery is allowed to proliferate), but to my knowledge, pretty sure the station was never built (it would've been about the same distance from the village as was Watton station), and, given that the two 'boxes' that were between Hertford and Langley were only minimalist "Block Huts" (see the 1960 Sect. Appdx. and an article in the main Signal Box website), it's very hard to imagine justification for a further block post at Datchworth without a localised need, such as a siding which I'm sure never existed.

Possibly John, or Dave Cockle, can say more if they see this.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby 31422 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:33 pm

Thanks. I forgot to mention it does have a recess siding and looks like the layout at Watton at Stone until the GF was recovered a few years back as mentioned in another thread.
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Jul 30, 2017 2:47 pm

31422 wrote:Has anyone any knowledge of the history of Datchworth box, if indeed there ever was one. I've looked in the 1960 Sectional Appendix and the 1947 one and can find no mention. The few books I have that cover the area also came up blank, as did an internet search!!

There was no real signal box of that name - if I remember rightly it was one of the boxes at the Great Molewood railway museum. That stuff found its way through two different locations to eventually be auctioned off and the pros and cons of this are mentioned at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7940 .

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby GrahamHayward » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:37 pm

I believe I used to own this diagram before a move abroad prompted me to donate this, and a couple of other diagrams to Chris at Bere Ferrers. A friend of the family knew a chap whose father had passed away, who lived in Hertford, and was clearing his house. Apart from some signalling items, I remember he had an 'O' gauge collection of just about every LNER engine there had ever been. This was some years ago, twenty at least, and names escape me. On the reverse of the 'Datchworth' diagram, there is another diagram of a plain double junction, complete with signals,tc's etc, but with no name!
GrahamHayward
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby 31422 » Sat Aug 5, 2017 7:22 pm

Thank you both. I've passed that information back to Chris at Bere Ferrers. It's a fantastic place to visit.
Dafydd
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical