Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Second Signal Cabin at Marton Station

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Second Signal Cabin at Marton Station

Unread postby mikemusson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:15 pm

I have recently found a photograph of Marton station (Rugby to Leamington branch) which has a signal cabin located at the Leamington end of the down platform. Careful observation shows that the original cabin (and the only one I thought existed) is in place at the Rugby end of the down the platform. To my untrained and inexpert eye this unknown cabin doesn't even look LNWR in origin, dare I say it looks more Midland to me.

The photo was used to promote a talk by Roger Johnston on the history of Warwickshire Railways to the Marton History Group in March 2010. The caption to the photograph simply states Photo: Marton station in the 1920s

I have spoken to Roger who is a wonderful chap aged 87 but who had nothing to do with the flyer. It would seem no one knows who produced it. I am still digging away so hopefully I will get a better copy. Any information would be greatly appreciated and obviously fully credited.

The photo can be seen here: http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms ... rt3975.htm

Many thanks

Mike
mikemusson
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Second Signal Cabin at Marton Station

Unread postby RDNA » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:22 pm

I have recently found a photograph of Marton station (Rugby to Leamington branch) which has a signal cabin located at the Leamington end of the down platform. Careful observation shows that the original cabin (and the only one I thought existed) is in place at the Rugby end of the down the platform. To my untrained and inexpert eye this unknown cabin doesn't even look LNWR in origin, dare I say it looks more Midland to me.

A lovely find Mike, It looks like an early Saxby and Farmer design to me, the photo my have been taken to record this box before it was replaced by the L&NWR design box at the far end of the platform.

Hopefully a member with access to the records can provide more detail, I get the impression that the L&NWR was upgrading it's 'first generation' signalling in response to the Regulation of Railways Acts during the 1880s/90s.

I'm sure the 1920 date that you quote is a red herring!

Regards Dave
RDNA
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:55 pm

RDNA wrote:
A lovely find Mike, It looks like an early Saxby and Farmer design to me, the photo my have been taken to record this box before it was replaced by the L&NWR design box at the far end of the platform.

There is a ladder against the rear of the box, suggests that work of some sort was going on.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby mikemusson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:45 am

A larger image has been found and is on the website (use the same link). Given that we know the LNWR signal cabin was at the other end of the platform on the 1886 OS map (but not the S&F signal cabin) with the LNWR cabin remaining in place to the lifting of the goods yard, might it relate to when the line was single, being demolished after the doubling of the line? If so perhaps this was the case because of its size, the extra levers etc requiring a larger frame than could be accommodated by the existing cabin?

More thoughts and information very welcome.

Mike
mikemusson
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby RDNA » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:24 pm

Post by mikemusson » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:45 am

A larger image has been found and is on the website (use the same link). Given that we know the LNWR signal cabin was at the other end of the platform on the 1886 OS map (but not the S&F signal cabin) with the LNWR cabin remaining in place to the lifting of the goods yard, might it relate to when the line was single, being demolished after the doubling of the line? If so perhaps this was the case because of its size, the extra levers etc requiring a larger frame than could be accommodated by the existing cabin?

More thoughts and information very welcome.

Mike

Looking at the larger image it seems possible that when it was taken the L&NW box was already in use with the Saxby and Farmer one remaining but not being used as the signalbox.

The 1886 map shows an unidentified building in about the place where it is in the photo.

As you say the change over may have come with doubling of the line.

Regards Dave
RDNA
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical