Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Wellington (Salop)

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Wellington (Salop)

Unread postby euryalus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:38 am

I have been looking through some photographs of Wellington station and am confused by the platform numbering system at this station. The down platform seems to have been Platform 4, whereas one would have expected it to have been Platform 3. The up bay appears to have been Platform 1, while the two down side terminal bays were 5 and 6, but Wellington was a five-platform station - so was the down platform regarded as a "double" platform (ie 3 and 4)?
euryalus
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Wellington (Salop)

Unread postby Danny252 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:09 pm

I note you refer to the "Up Bay", but photos/diagrams show this as an Up Loop (e.g. the Wellington No. 3 diagram). Whilst that still only adds up to five platforms, could it be that the Up Loop once was, or became, a pair of separate Bay platforms?
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby euryalus » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:48 pm

I was using the word "bay" in its general sense as a subsidiary platform for local trains etc (I thought this usage was quite legitimate?) I don't think Platform 1 was the "double" platform because it was relatively short. The double one, if it existed, must have been the much longer Platform 3 (or should it be "3-4"?)
euryalus
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:31 pm

Although in general I would usually assume a 'Bay' to be a dead-end platform road, there were certainly examples (eg Dulverton) where there was a line that was connected at both ends, but only part of it was used for passenger traffic and often described colloquially as the 'bay'.
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby euryalus » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:33 pm

Platform 1 was on the up side and bay platforms 5 and 6 were on the down side, which means that either Platform 2 or Platform 3 must have been a "double" platform - the most likely candidate being the main down platform.
euryalus
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Mike Stone » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:41 am

There is a photograph in "By Great Western to Crewe" that clearly shows the up "back" platform was 2 - I wonder if it was split numbered to avoid confusion if a Crewe trains used the north end a Stafford one the south, as 1. That said I can't say I have heard of similar arrangements elsewhere - perhaps they were actually bays at one time?
Mike Stone
Mike Stone
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby scarpa » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:51 am

When resignalling of the line took place and Wellington signalbox abolished I remember there was an alteration to the platform layout and a Bay platform was provided on the downside, may have been introduced before the signalbox closed. Anyone know if the Through avoiding platform lines were abolished?
scarpa
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Danny252 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:05 pm

euryalus wrote:I don't think Platform 1 was the "double" platform because it was relatively short. The double one, if it existed, must have been the much longer Platform 3 (or should it be "3-4"?)

Surely the Up Loop and Up Platform were (nearly) identical in length, being either side of the same island platform?
scarpa wrote:When resignalling of the line took place and Wellington signalbox abolished I remember there was an alteration to the platform layout and a Bay platform was provided on the downside, may have been introduced before the signalbox closed.

"Railways of Telford" (D. Clarke) claims the last bay facing Wolverhampton was removed by 1985, but photographs in the same book show it in existence in 1989 with virtually no change since 1980, so I'm unsure if it was ever removed. However, perhaps there were later changes in connection with the short-lived Wellington-Walsall service (I can't find exactly which years this service ran). However, this is long after the era that euryalus is asking about.
Danny252
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby euryalus » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:26 pm

The long platform was the down platform, which I think was platform 3-4. A photograph in Great Western Journal No.33 shows two trains alongside this platform.
euryalus
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby vic south » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:11 pm

I was the pway engineer involved in the resignalling which abolished the final signal box at Wellington. I can confirm that the down bay was in use before, during and after the resignalling work for the Walsall service. The through roads were also maintained, although we had them out of use for about a fortnight to carry out some significant improvements to the track.

Andrew
vic south
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Sharpey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:12 pm

From pictures that I have aquired over the years (these are not my copyright so no reproduction unless in the public domain where the links are given below) which have signs visible in them.

- Up Loop West (North) end is Platform 2 suspect East (South) end is Platform 1 as suggested elsewhere as it fed services starting in either direction for the Market Drayton/Newcastle/Crewe (West) and Stafford (East)

- Up Platform is Platform 3 http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/pho ... _RJS_BWW_4

- Down Platform is Platform 4 http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/archive ... h=&page=11 (picture number RH01769 which is about 3/4 of the way down the page)

- Down Bays are Platforms 5 & 6

To the best of my knowledge there has always been a Down Bay, however the 2nd (Platform 6) was taken out of use in the late 60's and the remaining one has been shortened at the buffer stops end (I suspect this is the 1985 reference).

The platform arrangements at Wellington were not revised with the re-signallng when Wellington (No. 2) was closed and control transferred to Madeley Junction. The platforms were also renumbered to the current arrangement prior to the closure of Wellington No. 3 box at the west end of the station.

It is unfortunate that most of the photos of Wellington seem to be taken from a higher vantage point (station footbridge and road bridge toward the east end) so the roof hanging station signage is rarely visible.
Sharpey
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Webb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:41 am

There are a number of mostly recent photos at platform level to be found at http://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/SJ6511 which may be of interest in connection with this thread.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling - historical