Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Kyle of Lochalsh [ScR]

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Kyle of Lochalsh [ScR]

Unread postby Corrour » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 pm

Hi,

I'm currently producing drawings of the Kyle signal box diagrams. I have drawings and photos of the 1949 SBD but have never seen a drawing or photo of the BR diagram installed in 1975. Can anyone help please?

kind regards,

Robert
Corrour
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Kyle of Lochalsh [ScR]

Unread postby Andrew G » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:00 pm

I wonder if it was ever installed.

My picture is circa 1984 and is the 1949 diagram.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/llangolle ... Wpp-N2sYz7
Andrew G
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Roger Bell » Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:32 pm

I have a similar shot that I took 3 or 4 years earlier than Andrew G's. However, the overlays must date from before 1974 as at the time of my first visit that year, the sidings between the platform roads had been lifted and the loco shed sidings gone. In 1974, the bracket starting signals between the station and the box were still in use albeit with only a main arm on each. These were replaced with the shorter tubular posts a year or two later as shown in the later overlay with No34 on the right hand side of the track.
Roger
Roger Bell
Roger Bell
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Corrour » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:28 pm

Thanks Andy/Roger, Yes I'm beginning to have my doubts. The production of a new diagram in 1975 I have from an impeccable source, but it may not have been installed. The fact your photo is from 1984 kind of proves it Andy. The info I have has allowed me to show the original diagram without paste-overs and I'll let you see when complete. Your comments much appreciated.

Robert
Corrour
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Roger Bell » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:32 pm

I would be very interested to see the diagram pre overlays. Incidentally I have a 1983 photo showing the up side bracket post still extant ( armless) so this probably survived until introduction of retb. Interestingly the replacement tubular post ex # 34 survives to this day with the up side Stop board and TPWS lamp mounted on it.
Roger
Roger Bell
Roger Bell
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby 27016 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:08 pm

Another interesting factor about Kyle of Lochalsh was the loco release (not shown on the box diagram) from the Down Platform, which was worked by hand points rather than the usual arrangement of being Ground Frame operated and released from the signal box.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/llangolle ... 62228@N23/
You can just make out the Down Platform loco release and hand-worked point levers in this 1973 shot by enlarging the image -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/93910018@ ... ist-EFNyAy
Having visited the box in 1978, as far as I know there was never any interlocking as such to prevent the hand points on this loco release being set into the down platform whilst the road was also set for a down service to arrive into the down platform. Likewise the hand point in the down platform was not fitted with an FPL or Locking Bar, eventhough Up trains often departed from this same platform as shown the above photo link - including one service I caught from Kyle in August 1978.
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical