Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Western Region Semaphore Signalling

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Western Region Semaphore Signalling

Unread postby John » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:10 pm

Has anyone seen this book and is worth purchasing?

Western Region Semaphore Signalling in the 1960's and thereafter -by Brian Mills - published the PW Institution
Price for non-members: £30.00, Price for members: £20.00

From the PWI advert:
This book covers a cross section of BR(WR) semaphore signalling still in use in the 1960s at principal areas of the Western Region such as South Wales, Bristol, Exeter and other selected areas. It highlights the importance of the overhead telegraph rig and its former essential role in mechanical semaphore signalling and the signal box electrical apparatus necessary for the integrity of safe operation. Many diagrams are included and with over 120 colour photographs with detailed captions, now of an historical nature, plus drawings of electrical circuitry and mechanical detail, the content should prove of particular interest to both the layman and professional persons having a general interest in mechanical signalling which fortunately has become a permanent feature on heritage railways. Published 1st March 2014.
John Tilly
www.tillyweb.biz
www.senalizacion.biz

REPORT Railway Crime or suspicious activity to BTP on Freephone 0800.405040
John
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Western Region Semaphore Signalling

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:48 pm

You will have a job to get it at that price - £38.80 on-line from the PW Institution via Amazon is the cheapest I have found. Paperback. 270 pages. Hmmmm,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Sharpey » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:47 pm

Direct from the PWI comes in at £30 plus £6 postage.....

https://www.thepwi.org/shop/product_details?id=73
Sharpey
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:49 am

Anyone seen a copy? Isa it worth ordering?

Price is as shown on PWI website & Journal
John Tilly
www.tillyweb.biz
www.senalizacion.biz

John
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby JRB » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:20 pm

Cheaper if you can get a PWI member to do your shopping.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Andrew Waugh » Wed Nov 1, 2017 10:55 am

Overall, it reminds me of the early OPC signalling histories. A lot of photos and drawings. I'm not competent to judge the quality of the information. (And, I must admit, I actually haven't read it. Mostly because I don't really need to read another description of block working.) You could probably find at least half of the written information in other GWR books. But the photos and diagrams are good.

The author is a signalling enthusiast that comes from South Wales, an engineer, but not a professional railwayman.

The first 44 pages is a general introduction to railway signalling, specifically on the ex GWR. Then follows 'Section 1' which is entitled 'Illustrative plates of semaphore signalling development with diagrams of signal box shelf indicators, signalling equipment, wiring diagrams and lineside signs' - 31 pages. Starts with pages of diagrams of arms, then goes onto application of arms, slotting, block instrument circuits, arm proving circuits, diagrams of the operation of GWR ATC, and finishes up with perway sign diagrams, including current stuff.

Section 2 is 'AutoCAD drawing records of semaphore arm dimensions, multi-doll semaphore signal assemblies of the past, telegraph equipment, former TSR signs, facing point lock and mechanical point detection diagrams'. About 30 pages of very nice drawings of bracket posts, gantries, arms, spectacles, finials, etc. Would be good if you are a modeller.

Section 3 is 'Photographic field records of semaphore signalling and ancillary equipment including single-line token working data'. About 140 pages - most pages are a single colour photo with extended caption. Probably about 2/3rds photos of signals, with a real mixture of the rest - rodding runs, the inside of an equipment box, signal boxes, frames, etc etc. All GWR, of course, mostly South Wales, and the border country. The photos are nicely reproduced.

If I had to summarise the book, I'd say it's a book of drawings and photographs of GWR/BR(WR) signalling equipment, topped with an general introduction to signalling.

While it's paperback, it's well produced on glossy paper. It certainly feels solid.
Andrew Waugh
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Thanks Andrew
John Tilly
www.tillyweb.biz
www.senalizacion.biz

John
Rest-day relief