Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

GWR boxplates. Box or Signal Box

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: GWR boxplates. Box or Signal Box

Unread postby JRB » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:44 am

3 copies of the book left at Kidderminster Museum on Saturday 18th Nov. Beware of the background information. There are errors & omissions.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby roy hart » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:44 am

Chris is right: in the 1980s most box plates (of all kinds) in the westcountry were removed and replaced by standard corporate black-on-white plates, as on stations. I thought that this was well known. Living abroad (and somewhat out of touch) I had assumed that this was a BR-wide policy.
In Cornwall, only Goonbarrow GW plate survived (it's still there). At Lostwithiel the new plate copied the old one ('Lostwithiel Crossing') despite the fact that the box has been simply 'Lostwithiel' for all official purposes since 1923. At St Blazey they repeated the off-centre position of the plate.
In more recent years, several Cornish boxes have acquired reproduction GW style plates (St Erth, Roskear, Par). At Truro the box (former Truro East) has acquired a GW style 'Truro Signal Box'.
roy hart
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:41 am

I never realised it had been policy to change the plates to 70s corporate signage. I always thought they were just replacements for stolen or damaged ones. The Cornish replicas are excellent as are the new enamel ground frame nameplates that appeared in former regional colours over the last 15 years or so. I am aware of the Dunn book but never got around to buying a copy. Thanks for your help gents.
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical