Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Penshaw NCB - interesting photograph

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Penshaw NCB - interesting photograph

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Dec 2, 2017 1:58 am

This interesting photograph from N L Cadge comes (unusually) with little information:
Photo: N L Cadge, 6/4/82.

It is simply described as NCB No53, Penshaw.

I can't say I am particularly interested in the engine, which is ex-BR D4072, apparently, but here owned by the National Coal Board as their No53. Obviously I would like to identify the signal box name. There are no obvious clues in the adjoining pictures in the index - NCB Bournmoor box one side and Penshaw North SB the other. I think it may be near Bournmoor as the same loco starts in pictures there.

But there are other interesting featuires in the picture:
  • The gauntleted track in front of the box. This is the kind of arrangement discussed elsewhere recently to accomodate catch points on a single line but catch points I can see none. Or are we actually looking at a weighbridge cabin?
  • And the signal is worth close examination - cropped enlargement below

Interesting indeed . . .

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Penshaw NCB - interesting photograph

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sat Dec 2, 2017 9:14 am

My vote is for a weighbridge cabin as that gauntleted track is a pretty standard arangement. The signal looks like a vandalised conventional UQ stop arm thats been bent backwards on itself with missing glasses.......
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby davidwoodcock » Sat Dec 2, 2017 9:55 am

That is clearly an actual weigh bridge in front of the box. It is possible that the signal was either used to indicate to a driver that he could pull forward so that the next wagon could be weighed, weigh bridges weren't typically dynamic in the "old days", or to indicate that the non-weighbridge road of the gauntlet was set.

Given the presence of a signal almost certainly worked by the (weigh bridge) box, it could be interesting subject for discussion as to whether that would be sufficient to enable it to be described as a "signal box".
davidwoodcock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Dec 2, 2017 11:03 am

Large-scale OS maps show a weighbridge cabin between Bournmoor and Oenshaw but unfortunately it seems to be in the wrong place to be this one. Nor does there seem to be a signal near it. Never mind . . .

I am happy to accept that is a weighbridge, but not so convinced on the function of the signal as it is badly positioned for traffic using the weighbridge.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Webb » Sat Dec 2, 2017 4:29 pm

If the signal has been folded back on itself, as S&TEngineer suggests, and I'm inclined to agree with him, surely it would have applied to trains proceeding on the track next to it? IE the one the train is on in the picture - so would not have applied to the weighbridge line?
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby edwin_m » Sat Dec 9, 2017 6:55 pm

Is that a manual point lever front centre, possibly associated with the switches at the start of the gauntlet track? If so it suggest that track at least is not signalled.
edwin_m
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Dec 9, 2017 8:07 pm

Yes, from the original large-format scan that is a hand-point lever in the foreground but that is not to say the line was "not signalled" as there was a comprehensive NCB box less than half a mile away in the non-BR direction. Working is probably "No Block".

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby limitofshunt » Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:16 am

John Hinson wrote:...there was a comprehensive NCB box less than half a mile away in the non-BR direction.

Which box is that John?
limitofshunt
Crossing box
Crossing box

Return to Signalling - historical