Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Stratford and Bow Junction 1945 resignalling

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: Stratford and Bow Junction 1945 resignalling

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:54 pm

StevieG wrote:Wasn't there some sort of change to a signalling technical standard a few years ago about how running signals should be shown on signalling plans FLF (E/S/11070?) ?
I vaguely recall querying, during around 2012 -2015, why the scheme plans of one resignalling project (I forget which) were using what we would have thought to be symbology of 2, 3 & 4-lens signal heads to represent 1 and 2-aperture LED heads as well as conventional muti-lens heads, and was told that the plan symbols were now to be shown like that to clearly represent, in a standard way, signals' displayable aspects and not the physical 'appearance' of signal heads.

Er I can't remember for sure but it does ring a bell. Just because a plan specifies one type of signal i.e. LED single lens it would be the Signal Sighting Committee who finally decide the form the signal should take.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby JRB » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:42 am

We seem to have some confusion here between different types of document: Scheme plans shewing proposals, numbering plans/locking sketches recording the actual installation and signal box diagrams/panels for the signalmen's use. Generally the first two have tended to be uniform in presentation, whilst the third has not. Let us be perfectly clear as the politicians say.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:07 am

There was no confusion on my part, yet what I said seems to have caused others to think I am confused. Yet again I will explain that I was merely drawing the parallel to demonstrate that contractors frequently provided the various plans in their own style for such schemes.

It has never been stated other than the plan in question is not of the panel itself but is a technical plan used for reference, but its parentage is unknown and it might not have been drawn in the style of plans produced by the LNER.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical