Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Goring-by-Sea, West Sussex (GBS)

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Goring-by-Sea, West Sussex (GBS)

Unread postby Is Line Clear » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:47 pm

Does anyone out there have a diagram, probably 1970's, for this SB? Earlier ones would be interesting as well. It has been my 'home' station since 1975, though ironically I never visited the box. I am sure that in the Down direction there was a machine worked Distant under the Starter, which must presumably have been slotted, but with where? In the 70's I used to catch a train to LAC, but didn't then have much detailed appreciation of signalling.

In 1980's/1990's I was more 'into' signalling and was lucky enough to visit several SBs before the resignalling swept them away and take slides (deep in a cupboard at present).

Any help appreciated.

Adrian
7-5-5
Is Line Clear
Branch line box
Branch line box

Re: Goring-by-Sea, West Sussex (GBS)

Unread postby Peter Gibbons » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:05 pm

Goring-by-Sea box had quite a simple layout with semaphore distant, home, starting and advanced starting signals in both directions. It controlled a gated level crossing later converted to a full barrier crossing. This was located at the Angmering end of the station.

In the case of down starting and down advanced starting signals mounted below these semaphore arms were Ferring Crossing's Down Outer and inner distant signal respectively. Ferring Crossing's Down Outer Distant was motor driven

Goring-by-Sea Up Distant was mounted below Ferring Crossing's Up Home signal. That was the position in November 1985.

Sometime prior to this period Goring-by-Sea had two trailing crossovers one located immediately on the West Worthing side of the station; the other was located on the far side of the level crossing in the Angmering direction. both were signalled with shunting signals for both directions.

Beyond the Angmering side crossover there were some Down Sidings with a connection to the Down line also controlled by shunt signals. However both the connection and the shunt signals were controlled from a four lever ground frame released by Goring-by-Sea signal box.

Hope that is useful.
Peter G
Peter Gibbons
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Richard Lemon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:04 am

There is a diagram in Volume 24 of George Pryer's books. "SR Lines in West Sussex"
Richard Lemon
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Is Line Clear » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:49 am

Peter Gibbons wrote:<SNIPPED>In the case of down starting and down advanced starting signals mounted below these semaphore arms were Ferring Crossing's Down Outer and inner distant signal respectively. Ferring Crossing's Down Outer Distant was motor driven

Goring-by-Sea Up Distant was mounted below Ferring Crossing's Up Home signal. That was the position in November 1985.

Hope that is useful.

Many thanks Peter. I hadn't though of an Outer Distant for Ferring, and I can't recall travelling that direction, so hadn't seen the arrangement on the down advanced starter (shame on me).
7-5-5
Is Line Clear
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Is Line Clear » Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:51 am

Richard Lemon wrote:There is a diagram in Volume 24 of George Pryer's books. "SR Lines in West Sussex"

Thanks Richard - I must look for a copy of that.

Adrian
Is Line Clear
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Richard Lemon » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:15 pm

Adrian,

Available from the SRS.

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/bookpryer.php
Richard Lemon
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Is Line Clear » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:45 am

Richard Lemon wrote:Adrian,

Available from the SRS.

https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/bookpryer.php

Thanks Richard. Order form printed and now looking for a chequebook!

Adrian
7-5-5
Is Line Clear
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical