Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

GWR detonators

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

GWR detonators

Unread postby madscientist » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 pm

I was just looking at the original signal box diagram of Llanuwchllyn, which I believed showed two detonator placement devices ( red dot with a cross ) one on the up loop and one on the down , both close to the box in the station area.

What perplexed me was the fact that presumably they referred to the relevant starters , but these signals were relatively close. Surely the driver couldn't stop in time. ??
madscientist
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: GWR detonators

Unread postby Wilkinstown » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:33 am

Better to stop ahead of the signals than not at all ?
Wilkinstown
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:10 pm

Indeed the purpose is to stop the train in an emergency not to protect or back up the starting signals.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:33 pm

It strikes me as unusual to provide emergency detonator placers at a crossing loop on a single line. Can anyone say why Llanuwchllyn was chosen for this distinction, which seems to have been very rare on the GWR?
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:59 pm

Stuart Johnson wrote:It strikes me as unusual to provide emergency detonator placers at a crossing loop on a single line. Can anyone say why Llanuwchllyn was chosen for this distinction, which seems to have been very rare on the GWR?

It is common in a special situation - where non-token working existed. I don't think that applied at Llanuwchllyn but thought it worth mentioning just in case it did.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby GarthTilt » Fri Feb 2, 2018 2:56 pm

On the Llangollen Goods Junction - Dolgelley single line sections most boxes had emergency detonators installed. On the adjacent Bala - Blaenau Ffestiniog section just Trawsfynydd had detonators. Both Ketley and Horsehay on the Ketley Junction-Lightmoor Junction sections had them and they were not crossing stations! All were worked by token or staff. These were all in the former Chester Division of course and sadly their S&T records together with the Birmingham Division were transferred to Crewe in 1963 and do not appear to have survived, or do they? It's a subject to investigate more. Were the above locations subject to fog more frequently than others in the Division? Neyland had one detonator placer on the Down Main and it was a terminus, no doubt there were other examples.
GarthTilt
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to Signalling - historical