Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Modelling Prospect Hill Whitby SB

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Modelling Prospect Hill Whitby SB

Unread postby Lensmeister » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:09 am

Good Morning one and all,

First post here.

I am hoping to start a project in the near future to scratchbuild Prospect Hill Signal Box that straddled the line between Whitby Town and Whitby West Cliff stations.

I have a couple of photos that I have discovered on the 'tinterweb but no details. I hope some of your more knowledgeable people will be able to help me. I need help on:

• What are the dimensions of the box?
  • Are there any technical drawings of the box?
  • Would using old photos and then using known sizes (i.e. the gap between rails being 4ft 81/2 inches) be the way to go ?

I am getting all the info I can at the moment so I can evaluate what the dimensionswill be to give me an indication on what I need to buy to build it.

I have seen the thread on here and has geven me a few ideas initially.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Lensmeister
Trainee
Trainee

Re: Modelling Prospect Hill Whitby SB

Unread postby Mackay » Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:08 pm

In the earlier thread I mentioned the two different heights above rail level. The same document shows the cabin inside dimensions as 18ft x 19ft. No other details or drawings, I'm afraid. Hope this helps to scale other dimensions from the photos.

Neil
Mackay
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Webb » Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:31 pm

There are two pictures of this box in 1965 at http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/whitby_west_cliff/index2.shtml which may help a little.
I've a vague recollection that a modelling magazine may have looked at this junction in the last few years - when I can find the indexes (carefully tucked away where I wouldn't loose them!) I'll see if I can dig up anything.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Lensmeister » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:41 pm

Mackay wrote:In the earlier thread I mentioned the two different heights above rail level. The same document shows the cabin inside dimensions as 18ft x 19ft. No other details or drawings, I'm afraid. Hope this helps to scale other dimensions from the photos.

Neil

Thanks Neil.
I will read through these again, how did I miss that :o
18ft will be across the rail (the width) I expect and the 19ft in length. Certainly gives me food for thought.

John Webb wrote:There are two pictures of this box in 1965 at http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/w/whitby_west_cliff/index2.shtml which may help a little.
I've a vague recollection that a modelling magazine may have looked at this junction in the last few years - when I can find the indexes (carefully tucked away where I wouldn't loose them!) I'll see if I can dig up anything.

Thanks John, I have those images thankfully, and a few other that I have managed to locate off the net.

Thanks you all for the help. This is going to be a long old project.
Lensmeister
Trainee
Trainee

Unread postby John Webb » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:24 pm

An 00 gauge layout of Whitby West End, including Prospect Hill junction, was featured in Hornby Magazine, September 2016, (Issue No. 111), pages 16-25, together with an article on the coastal portion of the Scarborough - Middlesborough line on pages 94-97, although the latter has little about the Prospect Hill junction.

Back numbers may be available - try http://www.hornbymagazine.com.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Return to Signalling - historical