Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Mystery SR SB

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Re: Mystery SR SB

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Tue Apr 3, 2018 10:12 pm

So a single lever could control trains in and out of a platform plus a calling on as well?? If so that would make the lockng a bit simpler as opposed to signalling trains over different routes.
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Wed Apr 4, 2018 8:19 am

RichardH wrote:There actually seem to be very few suitable candidates for the location, (Waterloo ‘A’ was also a very wide box with back to back frames), Waterloo ‘B’, had a frame that was long enough, but I don’t have any further info, Southampton Yard also looked a possibility, but the box didn’t have upper lights, one of the old Eastleigh boxes although I can’t find a picture of them, or one or two others. The block shelf labels and lever description plates are just too indecipherable, although lever approx. No. 52 looks like an electric release and Nos. 50/51 are missing.

Ah, we might be getting somewhere. I don't think its the Waterloo boxes as my gut feeling is it has the look of a 1950s to 1960s photograph. I'm more inclined to go with Eastleigh or Southampton. Need to dig out my George Pryer books to have a look.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Apr 4, 2018 9:24 am

RichardH wrote: I imagine they ‘tested’ the locking for the selected route and released the signal lever.

I can't see a purpose to that except to make things more complicated.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Wed Apr 4, 2018 3:04 pm

Been looking at my George Pryer books and there is a distinct possibility that it could be Eastleigh West. According to GP this had 6 'short' levers and the diagram shows these as being interlocking levers for the 6 lines leading through Eastleigh station towards Eastleigh East box. I will do a bit more lever comparison to double check.

Eastleigh West was a Type 3B box fitted with a Stevens 4 1/8" centres frame.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby RichardH » Wed Apr 4, 2018 7:15 pm

Fast Line Floyd wrote:
RichardH wrote: I imagine they ‘tested’ the locking for the selected route and released the signal lever.

I can't see a purpose to that except to make things more complicated.

I think my paraphrasing is accurate, even if it seems unnecessary by later standards to have a separate lever and ‘manually operated’ conditional locking, but many of the arrangements in the installation seem to have been made to simplify the locking. There were ‘pivot’ pieces though that could connect the bars in adjacent channels to implement ‘special’ (conditional) locking where necessary.
RichardH
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby RichardH » Wed Apr 4, 2018 7:18 pm

S&TEngineer wrote:Been looking at my George Pryer books and there is a distinct possibility that it could be Eastleigh West. According to GP this had 6 'short' levers and the diagram shows these as being interlocking levers for the 6 lines leading through Eastleigh station towards Eastleigh East box. I will do a bit more lever comparison to double check.

Eastleigh West was a Type 3B box fitted with a Stevens 4 1/8" centres frame.

It would be good if you can confirm that it is Eastleigh West box – it does seem that Tyers describers were used on the line to Southampton as I have found a picture of one at Northam Junction, I would also tend to agree that it does look BR-era, with the floor covering, and No. 81 repeater face being painted in the latter style.
RichardH
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Sun Apr 8, 2018 6:44 pm

I spoke to a friend today who's an ex Eastleigh area signalman who confirms this as Eastleigh West box. East apparently had a bay window which West didn't. Also the levers at the far end of the frame were additions which were lettered instead of numbered.
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sun Apr 8, 2018 7:49 pm

Ashley Hill wrote:I spoke to a friend today who's an ex Eastleigh area signalman who confirms this as Eastleigh West box. East apparently had a bay window which West didn't. Also the levers at the far end of the frame were additions which were lettered instead of numbered.

Thanks for that confirmation. My lever count seems to tie up with the GP diagram as well. We will go for Eastleigh West.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Chris Rideout » Mon Apr 9, 2018 2:50 pm

S&TEngineer wrote:
RichardH wrote:There actually seem to be very few suitable candidates for the location, (Waterloo ‘A’ was also a very wide box with back to back frames), Waterloo ‘B’, had a frame that was long enough, but I don’t have any further info, Southampton Yard also looked a possibility, but the box didn’t have upper lights, one of the old Eastleigh boxes although I can’t find a picture of them, or one or two others. The block shelf labels and lever description plates are just too indecipherable, although lever approx. No. 52 looks like an electric release and Nos. 50/51 are missing.

Ah, we might be getting somewhere. I don't think its the Waterloo boxes as my gut feeling is it has the look of a 1950s to 1960s photograph. I'm more inclined to go with Eastleigh or Southampton. Need to dig out my George Pryer books to have a look.

Eastleigh West Box had selector levers but I don't know how many. They were mainly used for ground signals reading to several routes and possibly the Up Main Calling On which could apply to all 4 platforms.
Chris Rideout
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Mon Apr 9, 2018 5:47 pm

Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Chris Rideout » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:55 pm

I had a look at the diagram. Oops! My belief that the Up Main Calling On went to all platforms has been shot down in flames. The signal could not apply to the down lines because there is no main lines facing crossover.
Chris Rideout
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:31 pm

...and here it is in all its glory (no comments about H&S please!). If anybody would like a hi-resolution copy of the Diagram, please send me a PM with an email address.

Image (c)2018 Jim Dapre's Collection - Published with Permission
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:40 pm

And just out of interest here is its mate at the other end of Eastleigh station (Eastleigh East).

Image (c)2018 Jim Dapre's Collection - Published with Permission
Regards,
S&TEngineer
S&TEngineer

Previous

Return to Signalling - historical