Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Mystery SR SB

British signalling of the past (UK, excepting Northern Ireland)

Mystery SR SB

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 5:23 pm

I have been asked if anybody is able to identify this ex-SR SB and the type of frame (Assumed to be Stevens)?

Image (c)2018 Jim Dapre's collection - Published with Permission
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Re: Mystery SR SB

Unread postby Chris Osment » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:09 pm

The short levers remind me of the 'gear' levers used in some places such as the old Waterloo - there can't have been too many like that?
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
http://www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:55 pm

What did the short levers control in such boxes?
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Fri Mar 30, 2018 7:14 pm

Ashley Hill wrote:What did the short levers control in such boxes?

AIUI they were in effect 'selectors' which enabled other levers to do more than one function.
Chris Osment
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:34 pm

Cheers Chris,I don't fancy locking that frame!!!!!!
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:37 pm

The frame is definitely a Stevens with the gear levers but which box I don't know but possibly the original Wimbledon A.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby RichardH » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:25 pm

It appears to be an LSWR type 3a box although the end sashes must have been replaced. If it is one of the Waterloo boxes the photo would have to be pre-1936, but the gear levers don’t match up for the ‘A’ box as Raynar Wilson lists them as being nos. 19, 96, 107, 128, 180, 200, and 217.

The Tyers describer sending instrument RHS of the diagram is unusual for an SR location, but there is a Walkers describer LHS, and possibly a couple of SR three position instruments beyond that, otherwise it is all Sykes equipment.
RichardH
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby ex Probationer » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:38 pm

S&TEngineer wrote:I have been asked if anybody is able to identify this ex-SR SB and the type of frame (Assumed to be Stevens)?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KhbLebAqQnjXzzDX2

I'm no expert, but the link above, is a photo I took in 2006 of Maidstone West which seems to have a similar frame and levers.

Kevin
ex Probationer
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:49 pm

ex Probationer wrote:
S&TEngineer wrote:I have been asked if anybody is able to identify this ex-SR SB and the type of frame (Assumed to be Stevens)?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/KhbLebAqQnjXzzDX2

I'm no expert, but the link above, is a photo I took in 2006 of Maidstone West which seems to have a similar frame and levers.

Kevin

Not a Stevens frame here but a London Chatham and Dover Railway frame.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:20 pm

Fast Line Floyd wrote:Not a Stevens frame here but a London Chatham and Dover Railway frame.

If you'll forgive me for splitting hairs that is actually a Hallam & Sykes frame designed for the South Eastern & Chatham.
EDIT - Whoops! Now its time to eat my own words - it is an Evans & O'Donnel frame at maidstone West!

The one in question is by Stevens, as you say, but I couldn't say where. Not many boxes had those "gear levers".

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sun Apr 1, 2018 8:03 am

Thanks for all the responses so far. I have also added the query to the SRS Forum to see if any leads crop up there. I'll repost here if anything does.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Ashley Hill » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:50 am

How did the interlocking work with the gear/selector levers? If this allowed certain levers to perform two functions then the locking must have been horrendous!
Ashley Hill
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Tue Apr 3, 2018 6:14 pm

Ashley Hill wrote:How did the interlocking work with the gear/selector levers? If this allowed certain levers to perform two functions then the locking must have been horrendous!

It gets worse....IIRC the gear levers at Waterloo could select between more than just two settings, hence the varying number of slots in the quadrant ribs....
Chris Osment
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Tue Apr 3, 2018 7:38 pm

I always have wondered how these gear levers worked and the only thing I can come up with is that assuming the interlocking for the main lever is always the same the gear lever could act as a dog clutch type mechanism between the main lever tail and a number of secondary lever tails each of which is connected to the item being controlled. That all said it is a guess based on some knowledge of Stevens frames and basic engineering.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby RichardH » Tue Apr 3, 2018 9:02 pm

My understanding of the gear lever operation from Raynar Wilson is that each one had three positions corresponding to arrival/departure to/from a platform, a shunt out, or shunt in move – all to/from the same route, so one gear lever operated the 3-way selectors for all the platforms that had access to this route, and each platform would have just one lever to operate one of the three signals. The selectors had a slide for each signal arm, and a sort of swinging hook arrangement connected to the signal lever and which was appropriately engaged by the cross-slide operated by the gear lever. There were also short ‘setting’ levers to select between equivalent routes before some signals were operated, I imagine they ‘tested’ the locking for the selected route and released the signal lever.

There actually seem to be very few suitable candidates for the location, (Waterloo ‘A’ was also a very wide box with back to back frames), Waterloo ‘B’, had a frame that was long enough, but I don’t have any further info, Southampton Yard also looked a possibility, but the box didn’t have upper lights, one of the old Eastleigh boxes although I can’t find a picture of them, or one or two others. The block shelf labels and lever description plates are just too indecipherable, although lever approx. No. 52 looks like an electric release and Nos. 50/51 are missing.
RichardH
Branch line box
Branch line box

Next

Return to Signalling - historical