Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Accessing This Forum

Comments and questions about the forum

Accessing This Forum

Unread postby Graham Maxtone » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:19 pm

I seem to have issues accessing Home Signal but only with my Samsung devices (Tablet and 'phone). Is there anything that anyone might be aware of that I should do?

It's been like that for weeks now and can't remember when it actually started giving problems.

I'm on my desktop just now which has never given me any issues.

Thanks
Graham Maxtone
Graham Maxtone
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Accessing This Forum

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:43 pm

Graham Maxtone wrote:I seem to have issues accessing Home Signal but only with my Samsung devices (Tablet and 'phone). Is there anything that anyone might be aware of that I should do?

It's been like that for weeks now and can't remember when it actually started giving problems.

I'm on my desktop just now which has never given me any issues.

Thanks
Graham Maxtone

I have been using my Samsung tablet and mobile today to access the forum without any problems. Can you PM me or JH with any details of error messages you might be getting? I'll lock this topic in the interim.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:05 pm

Sorry for late response, I have been out all day at a family funeral in Yorkshire. Our monitors show the site to have been running fine all day.

Please advise the URL you are using to access the site, and also the exact message you are getting.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Graham Maxtone » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 pm

What comes up is:

Web page not available

The Web page at https://www.signalbox.org/ might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

Then the usual suggestions about signal strength/reload page/view cached copy are made
Graham Maxtone
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Graham Maxtone » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:07 pm

There is also a separate pop up message which says :

Connection problem

Couldn't establish secure a connection.

I don't have this with any other site I access and I have also reset my tablet and phone back to factory settings since this started.

Thanks

Graham
Graham Maxtone
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:04 am

It sounds as if your phone is refusing to connect to the site because it considers the SSL Certificate to be out of date. Please check the date and time on your device are correct. The current certificate is valid from 11th July until 9th October.

I can't think of any other reason why your main PC connects correctly yet your mobile devices do not when connecting through the same ISP.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stevoid » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:52 pm

The SSL certificate doesn't have the correct hostname on it; it's a wildcard for any subdomain of gridhost.co.uk, which doesn't match forum.signalbox.org, so the mobile browser is refusing to accept the certificate, as it should.

The dates you give for when the certificate is valid match the ones for the main signalbox.org certificate (which doesn't have forum.signalbox.org listed as an alternative name), but not this one.
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Graham Maxtone » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:20 pm

Thanks John,

I have checked what I can and all seems to be in order by comparing settings with favourites that work OK.

What I have since done is put the search for Home Signal in Google again and instead of selecting the header link I went for the 'Forums' link below and that worked! I have saved the link to Forums as my favourite, I can then navigate around the site from there.

Thanks also for your reply Stevoid, I might not be the only one with this issue?

Best wishes,

Graham
Graham Maxtone
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:16 pm

Stevoid wrote:The SSL certificate doesn't have the correct hostname on it; it's a wildcard for any subdomain of gridhost.co.uk, which doesn't match forum.signalbox.org, so the mobile browser is refusing to accept the certificate, as it should.

The dates you give for when the certificate is valid match the ones for the main signalbox.org certificate (which doesn't have forum.signalbox.org listed as an alternative name), but not this one.

I am sorry but that is utter rubbish.
See: https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker. ... nalbox.org

Everything there is correct.

Nobody here or elsewhere has ever suggested http://forum.signalbox.org is on that certificate. It isn't and there are currently no plans for it to be so. The question that arose concerned visiting https://signalbox.org .

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Stevoid » Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:40 pm

John Hinson wrote:
Stevoid wrote:The SSL certificate doesn't have the correct hostname on it; it's a wildcard for any subdomain of gridhost.co.uk, which doesn't match forum.signalbox.org, so the mobile browser is refusing to accept the certificate, as it should.

I am sorry but that is utter rubbish.
See: https://www.sslshopper.com/ssl-checker. ... nalbox.org

Everything there is correct.

Nobody here or elsewhere has ever suggested http://forum.signalbox.org is on that certificate. It isn't and there are currently no plans for it to be so. The question that arose concerned visiting https://signalbox.org .

John

Ah; I misread the question and thought it was referring to the forum site; I apologise for this. In that case what I said is completely irrelevant.
Stevoid
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to About this forum