Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Forum Software Upgrade : 'Unread Posts' that have been read

Comments and questions about the forum

Forum Software Upgrade : 'Unread Posts' that have been read

Unread postby StevieG » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:14 pm

Can't see something revelant about this in the FAQs titles : Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, but; after logging in, selecting 'New posts', reading them, and returning to the index, the 'new posts' already read still show with the yellow/orange symbol, even after refreshing the index, as if still unread.
Is this correct?
I don't think this is how the old Index page worked, - was it?
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Re: Forum Software Upgrade : 'Unread Posts' that have been read

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:30 pm

Hi Steve,

If you use the browser's back button, this is what you will probably see (and would have always seen) - your browser is displaying cached information. I don't think anything has changed in this respect.

If you use the links on the web page when you go back to the topics list, it should update.

Or you can just refresh the page to bring it up to date.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Software Upgrade : 'Unread Posts' that've been read, etc...

Unread postby StevieG » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:14 pm

signalman wrote:Hi Steve,

If you use the browser's back button, this is what you will probably see (and would have always seen) - your browser is displaying cached information. I don't think anything has changed in this respect.

If you use the links on the web page when you go back to the topics list, it should update.

Or you can just refresh the page to bring it up to date.

John
You could be right about the back button. But in the circumstances I was mentioning, as I said (meaning using the browser's refresh or F5), it doesn't alter things; or does the yellow symbol mean 'new posts' since last visit, whether just read or not? (I thought they used to be changeable from yellow to white as soon as they had been read.).

Actually, re using 'back' (at any time), whether the browser's back function or keyboard 'Backspace' key, is now beginning to look like it always produces "Webpage has expired". I know this used to occur occasionally, but pretty sure it mostly used to work OK.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Re: Software Upgrade : 'Unread Posts' that've been read, etc...

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:06 am

StevieG wrote:You could be right about the back button. But in the circumstances I was mentioning, as I said (meaning using the browser's refresh or F5), it doesn't alter things; or does the yellow symbol mean 'new posts' since last visit, whether just read or not? (I thought they used to be changeable from yellow to white as soon as they had been read.).

The symbols are detailed at the foot of the pages concerned. They definitely change yellow to white for me when I return to the page via the links.

StevieG wrote:Actually, re using 'back' (at any time), whether the browser's back function or keyboard 'Backspace' key, is now beginning to look like it always produces "Webpage has expired". I know this used to occur occasionally, but pretty sure it mostly used to work OK.

The only time you should experience this is when you submit form data, for example when you log in and are taken to a page relative to that data.

It is difficult to generalise as so much can be affected by the individual's browser settings and maybe the browser itself, but for me I find the behaviour is no different to previously.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Keith » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:38 am

My experience is that nothing has changed, other than what I take to be a transitional issue: some postings which I read on the old system were labelled as new on the new system. My assumption is that I read them on the old system after the DI had transferred the data to the new system.

One slight annoyance which I never mentioned before, but which has continued, is that, if I select the highest numbered page of a topic on the assumption that all the unread postings are there but find that the first posting on that page is unread, I click on "previous" to see if there are any unread postings on that page. All postings on both pages are then shown as read. I'd be very surprised if it's possible to stop that happening, but a means of avoiding the problem would be a "go to oldest unread posting" button. Is such a thing possible with this software?
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:35 am

Keith wrote:One slight annoyance which I never mentioned before, but which has continued, is that, if I select the highest numbered page of a topic on the assumption that all the unread postings are there but find that the first posting on that page is unread, I click on "previous" to see if there are any unread postings on that page. All postings on both pages are then shown as read. I'd be very surprised if it's possible to stop that happening, but a means of avoiding the problem would be a "go to oldest unread posting" button. Is such a thing possible with this software?

Ooh, that doesn't sound right - I will check it out and if appropriate will submit a bug report to the developers.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to About this forum