Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Highlighted contributors

Comments and questions about the forum

Highlighted contributors

Unread postby Martin Shaw » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:53 am

Can I ask what the relevance is of some contributors names being highlighted in green?

Regards
Martin
Martin Shaw
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Highlighted contributors

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:29 am

I spent a while wondering about that too, and came to the conclusion that it indicates that the person concerned is active on the forum at that given moment.

If anybody is concerned about privacy on that front, I believe you can hide your presence through your settings.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby StevieG » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:08 pm

signalman wrote:I spent a while wondering about that too, and came to the conclusion that it indicates that the person concerned is active on the forum at that given moment.

If anybody is concerned about privacy on that front, I believe you can hide your presence through your settings.

John

Haven't I seen somewhere, in passing, within the new software-forum, some possibly relevant little hint using 'red' and green text, showing administrators, and something like global moderators ?
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Keith » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:35 pm

StevieG wrote:Haven't I seen somewhere, in passing, within the new software-forum, some possibly relevant little hint using 'red' and green text, showing administrators, and something like global moderators ?

I spotted that also and assume it is why the DI appears in red, but I haven't noticed any green ones. Somewhere else, I saw a reference to favourites (or was it favorites?) and I think there were some colours there.
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:50 am

How features are displayed varies (as some will have noticed) between the different colour schemes.

The green highlighting of names originally referred to only appears in the default scheme (Caledonian) and is depicted differently in the others. One, I noticed, just says "Online" below the username.

I had noticed my username appeared in red (those who know my use of a fountain pen will know that's not my colour!) but couldn't tell whether that indicated "the boss" or the currently logged in user. Your comments here have clarified that for me, thanks.

At present we do not have any moderators - if we did they would be listed when you click on "The Team". The Team is just li'l ol' me at the moment.

For those who don't know what a "moderator" is, this position is a kind of assistant to the top cat who is given the rights to move, edit and delete posts. It is useful to have this facility on very busy forums to share the workload. If we get busier in the future I may well be looking for volunteers. Fortunately, we are a pretty level-headed lot and manage ourselves well most of the time - unlike some other forums where insults and bad language are not uncommon.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Alan Norris » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:14 am

signalman wrote:
For those who don't know what a "moderator" is, this position is a kind of assistant to the top cat who is given the rights to move, edit and delete posts. It is useful to have this facility on very busy forums to share the workload. If we get busier in the future I may well be looking for volunteers. Fortunately, we are a pretty level-headed lot and manage ourselves well most of the time - unlike some other forums where insults and bad language are not uncommon.

John

How true! This is the most well-mannered forum I post on. Some (I won't bore/shock you with details) are unbelievable. "Keyboard warriors" abound :roll:
Alan Norris
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Puro_pt » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:52 pm

signalman wrote:How features are displayed varies (as some will have noticed) between the different colour schemes.

The green highlighting of names originally referred to only appears in the default scheme (Caledonian) and is depicted differently in the others. One, I noticed, just says "Online" below the username.

I had noticed my username appeared in red (those who know my use of a fountain pen will know that's not my colour!) but couldn't tell whether that indicated "the boss" or the currently logged in user. Your comments here have clarified that for me, thanks.

At present we do not have any moderators - if we did they would be listed when you click on "The Team". The Team is just li'l ol' me at the moment.

John

Red = administrator (some call it God but here we call it DI)... Lots of power, inclusively to destroy the forum as it has almost or all the same powers as the owner of the forum
Green = moderator, (basicly what the honorable DI said)

Moderators are useful if they all work in similar ways... what can be very difficult to achieve (/me being a "red" in a forum, i get to have some disputes with some greens wich think they are Hitler, Mussolini or something alike). I don't think the DI will ever need that here as tolerances of the outside world apply, due to the highly techincal nature of the forum... so, any attitude problem is swiftly solved by the DI, unlike many other forums where things can get veryyyyyy bumpy, as many of you know...

Just my two eurocents on this matter...
Regards

Hugo L.
Puro_pt
Branch line box
Branch line box

Return to About this forum