Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Software Upgrade: Browser Crash

Comments and questions about the forum

Software Upgrade: Browser Crash

Unread postby Jumble Lane » Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:59 pm

If I view the forum using IE7, using the browser back button causes it to crash ("IE has encountered an error and must close"), about 50% of the time. Using Firefox, this does not happen. While the means to avoid this happening again is obvious, what is wrong with IE7 in this situation? Does anyone know?
Jumble Lane
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: Software Upgrade: Browser Crash

Unread postby Keith » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:21 pm

I'm using IE8 - no problem that I've seen particularly with this website, but I've had that happen occasionally when I click on something when IE isn't ready after my previous click. Bill Gates produces such inefficient software and loads it with so much unwanted rubbish, it can't keep up with the human brain and fingers.
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:22 pm

I have just tested it on the following combinations:
IE6/XP
IE7/Vista
IE8/XP
and it does not do this on any of these permutations. I expect you are IE7/XP though - just guessing, because I don't have the kit to test that. Is anybody else on here able to?

Can you check if it only occurs with a specific colour scheme? This would help pin it down to the software or the third-party schemes.

A search on Google suggests that most back-button crashes in IE7 are caused by add-on tool-bars or features. There is nothing I can find on the Microsoft Support site, and generally speaking if it were a known issue I would expect to find something there. I would imagine their suggested solution would be to upgrade to the latest version.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Jumble Lane » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:32 pm

signalman wrote:I have just tested it on the following combinations:
IE6/XP
IE7/Vista
IE8/XP
and it does not do this on any of these permutations. I expect you are IE7/XP though - just guessing, because I don't have the kit to test that.

Your supposition is correct - I am using IE7/XP. I have just fired up my laptop and tried the same thing with IE8/XP, with no problems at all.

It happens with what I suppose is the default colour scheme, i.e. Caledonian. I have tried it with Midland, with no crashes so far, but that may be chance. However, I have the choice of using Firefox or upgrading to IE8.

Thanks for your help.
Jumble Lane
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:05 pm

Thanks, I will keep this in mind in case of any new ideas or developments.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ferroequine » Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:53 am

[i]I'm using AOL with XP and the AOL browser is IE based although I'm not sure which version thereof. However I can test with IE7 should you still wish it?/i]
MikeR
ferroequine
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:30 am

ferroequine wrote:I'm using AOL with XP and the AOL browser is IE based although I'm not sure which version thereof. However I can test with IE7 should you still wish it?

If it is no trouble it would be interesting to know what results you get. That would help establish whether it is everybody with the IE7/XP combination that is affected or just some.

Thanks,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby StevieG » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:42 pm

In case of help, I always only use IE7 / XP, through .ntl (Virgin Media).
The only problem I sometimes encounter when using the browser's Back function (& mentioned early in one of the threads about the new software, as apparently happening much more than hitherto; now I don't think it does), is getting a 'Webpage has expired', and having to either go forward again to regain the last valid page, then /or instead, successfully getting ('back') to the page(s) I want by other means.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Puro_pt » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:15 pm

signalman wrote:
ferroequine wrote:I'm using AOL with XP and the AOL browser is IE based although I'm not sure which version thereof. However I can test with IE7 should you still wish it?

If it is no trouble it would be interesting to know what results you get. That would help establish whether it is everybody with the IE7/XP combination that is affected or just some.

Thanks,

John

It happened here while watching this topic.... :twisted:

IE 7 - version 7.0.5730.13
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Regards

Hugo L.
Puro_pt
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Puro_pt wrote:It happened here while watching this topic.... :twisted:

Thanks - so that I am chasing the right thing:
a) was this specifically a browser crash whilst using the back button or backspace key?
b) what colour scheme are you using?

Thanks,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Puro_pt » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:24 pm

I'm using the standart colour scheme (the one that by default shows up... blueish)

When the crash occurs again i'll send you full data (naturally now it doesn't happen!!!)
Regards

Hugo L.
Puro_pt
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:08 am

Thanks, Hugo,

There is no need to send full data, it would be meaningless to me!

I have looked at the Microsoft support site again and whilst they do not offer any specific fix for this situation, they do have a general fault-tracing and fault-fixing procedure for Internet Explorer 7 and the implication is that they are confident that faults of this sort will be resolved by following it.

It is at:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro

Only if we can demonstrate that the fault still occurs repeatedly in the same situation, for several different people, can I refer the situation to the phpBB software developers. The are pretty strict there and will not investigate anything unless it can be proved it is a consistent problem and that alternative possible causes have been explored.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ferroequine » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:39 am

signalman wrote:

Thanks,
John

I have just tried it (or rather am trying it) with all three colour schemes and have been unable to recreate the fault. I shall try it again after submitting this post and see if that makes a difference.

Edit - just come back in after experiencing no problems following posting and going into and out of several boards. I am running a fully updated (day before yesterday!) version of XP Home.
MikeR
ferroequine
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to About this forum