Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Another new feature

Comments and questions about the forum

Another new feature

Unread postby Keith » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:27 pm

When I submitted a reply a few minutes ago, I was confronted with a screen headed "Post review" and containing:
At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.
...plus the new post.

That seems like another good idea. :)
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Re: Another new feature

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:39 am

Yes, I encountered this the other day. If somebody else posts to a topic whilst you are preparing your own response, it tells you what they have written in case you are about to say the same. Natty!

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ferroequine » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:05 am

signalman wrote:Yes, I encountered this the other day. If somebody else posts to a topic whilst you are preparing your own response, it tells you what they have written in case you are about to say the same. Natty!

John

I've come across this one on another forum I frequent and it is an excellent feature - however what can also happen on that forum (or did with its last software version) was that if two people post to a thread at about the same moment one of the posts tends to vanish into the electronic ether.

Hopefully that won't happen here but just a little hint in case it does occur.
MikeR
ferroequine
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:08 am

I'll watch for that but it didn't happen the time I noticed it.

The developers are pretty quick to fix bugs of that nature, so it may have had a fix made a while back. That is one of the reasons I didn't jump in when version 3 was first released - I bought a new car once, first in a new range. I lost count of the number of recalls! Software can be just the same.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:02 pm

Keith wrote:When I submitted a reply a few minutes ago, I was confronted with a screen headed "Post review" and containing:
At least one new post has been made to this topic. You may wish to review your post in light of this.
...plus the new post.

That seems like another good idea. :)

On reviewing the Earby thread immediately following making a post to it just now at 17:53.xx, I then saw that the DI had posted as well, only 5 minutes earlier, while I was composing mine, but I saw no advisory screen or message such as Keith describes here.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby JRB » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:21 pm

When I look at the Earby thread and revert to the main heading, it still shews as unread. No others do that (yet).
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:41 pm

JRB wrote:When I look at the Earby thread and revert to the main heading, it still shews as unread. No others do that (yet).

I sometimes find that on some threads too. I can't see any pattern to this though.
I've read the latest posting, but sometimes the main heading doesn't seem to pick it up.
Maybe it's looking at the cached version even though I have refreshed the screen (usually in a separate tab).
Refreshing the screen again makes no difference. I'm using XP and firefox.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Return to About this forum