Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Automatic Logout?

Comments and questions about the forum

Automatic Logout?

Unread postby ferroequine » Wed Jul 1, 2009 9:19 am

Every time I go into the thread about the Coventry - Nuneaton line GF I get looged out of the site :? But this doesn't happen on any other thread (fortunately) which makes me think that it might not be my end of the block circuit which has a problem, but then on teh other hand....... :?: :?:

I haven't had this problem before on the new software although it did happen with the earlier version but in that case it logged me out whichever thread I went into (and was almost certainly something to do with AOL as it didn't happen if I logged onto the site using IE).
MikeR
ferroequine
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Re: Automatic Logout?

Unread postby Keith » Wed Jul 1, 2009 11:15 pm

No problem like that here [touch wood(en signal arm)].
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:50 am

Sorry, Mike, I did write a reply before but must have unintentionally left it at the draft stage as it is nowhere to be seen!

I can't think of any reason why a specific thread should cause such a occurrence and, like Keith, have tried to reproduce the same reaction here unsuccessfully. However, it would be interesting to know the order of pages you visit leading up to and after visiting the thread that seems to cause you this problem. Without knowing that it is difficult to know if I am following your footsteps when I try and reproduce the problem.

The main reason a specific thread shouldn't affect your retained login is that your presence is recorded in a "cookie" which, unless you haven't ticked the "keep me always logged in" option, should remain on your system. The only other things that could cause the cookie to be killed would be a security setting in your browser or security software that is set to delete cookies but again there is no reason for that to relate to any specific thread. It seems to be very puzzling behaviour that you are experiencing.

Best wishes,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ferroequine » Thu Jul 2, 2009 11:17 am

It's still doing it!

Today I have proceeded as follows -
1. Logon
2. Click on 'Board Index' then 'Signalling Current' then the title of the thread,
3. I go into the thread and immediately see 'Login' on the status bar at top right.
4. Came out of the thread and logged in then back to 'Board Index' then read every unread thread in 'Signalling Discussion' (only a couple)
5.Then clicked again on Board Index followed by going through into this thread, read the above message and went back (on the back button) to 'Board Index' the into 'Signalling Current' then the thread (which still showed as 'unread')
6.Immediately I went into the thread I again got 'Login' on the staus bar top right, so I again logged in and then came back to this thread.

Note also (which is perhaps as it should be?) that at present the 'Who Is Online' tab at the bottom reads 'Bob Davies and 0 Guests' - sp [resumably it doesn't need to tell me that I am online? (it never does so i take it that is as it should be?).

I have logged in straight off AOL, I will try later today via IE and see what happens doing it that way as I know of old that AOL can do 'funny things' on forum boards such as this while IE seems better behaved.
I do not trick 'always keep me logged in' (and never have) partly because I use CCleaner (Vers 2.20.920) and it is set to 'delete cookies' and has been ever since I first downloaded it - it is run at least once daily and quite often more than once as I tend to run it after going offline especially if I have visited a fair number of websites. I also run Norton 360 and usually run 'File Clean Up' on a daily basis, normally immediately before shutting down the 'puter.
MikeR
ferroequine
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Bob Davies » Thu Jul 2, 2009 1:16 pm

Seeing as I am mentioned in despatches, I thought that I would try this for myself. I use IE8.

1) When I am on line I see my own name at the bottom of the screen. It currenlty says Bob Davies and 0 guests, but a short time ago it said, Bob Davies, Mike Stone and 0 guests.

2) The Coventry-Nuneaton thread works fine for me.

3) I use PurgeIEPro to delete unwanted IE rubbish including cookies and I run this 3-4 time per week. However, it has the facility to protect friendly cookies when doing the purge, so I don't lose the board's automatic login feature.
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby ferroequine » Thu Jul 2, 2009 3:36 pm

I have now logged in using IE (7) and opened Coventry - Nuneaton as the third thread I opened, and it worked ok.

But interestingly I am still not shown as logged in, with the board showing 'No registered users and 0 guests'
MikeR
ferroequine
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Jul 2, 2009 4:49 pm

ferroequine wrote:But interestingly I am still not shown as logged in, with the board showing 'No registered users and 0 guests'

Yes that is indeed odd, you should be shown as one of the participants while you are logged in - unless you have chosen to hide your presence in your User Control Panel?

Reference my earlier comments about cookies, you would still be "issued with a token" when you log in, this would be a session cookie and it should remain in place until you shut your browser down.

The only theory I can come up with at the moment - and it is a long shot - is that some security feature you have somewhere (not necessarily dedicated software, it may be part of the AOL browser for instance) for some reason takes a dislike to some word or other in that specific thread and decides this is a site delivering cookies with evil intentions, and kills the cookie in mid-session.

Just to test that theory, I have copied that entire thread into this "About this forum" section - the only change I have made is to lock it to stop people posting to it. Does that chuck you out too?

Unless I can think of anything else, I don't think there is much that can be done about it from this end. The forum software really shouldn't work differently for different message groups or threads.

Best wishes,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ferroequine » Fri Jul 3, 2009 8:22 am

This time this thread chucked me off!!!!
MikeR
ferroequine
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Fri Jul 3, 2009 8:35 am

In that case, I suspect it is the presence of the Coventry-Nuneaton listing in the previous page that actually upsets your applecart. Why any software should get shirty about that is beyond me.

I will take that temporary thread away again, it was only for testing.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby ferroequine » Fri Jul 3, 2009 8:43 am

signalman wrote:In that case, I suspect it is the presence of the Coventry-Nuneaton listing in the previous page that actually upsets your applecart. Why any software should get shirty about that is beyond me.

I will take that temporary thread away again, it was only for testing.

John

I have just been back into the original thread with no troubles and it has at last also been marked as 'read' (but it was not visited first this time).

I will accordingly do a test of my own to see if it is the first one I visit that is dropping me off the block :oops:
MikeR
ferroequine
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to About this forum