Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Getting Logged Out and work lost when trying to Post

Comments and questions about the forum

Getting Logged Out and work lost when trying to Post

Unread postby StevieG » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:01 am

Have just experienced something that I sometimes also had, a very long time ago - in early-ish post-'Blower' Forum days.

Tonight, after being logged on about 2-3 hours, browsing without problem, and then spending about 1 hour composing and refining a new post for an existing thread, on hitting "Preview", I was transported straight to the Forum Log-in page, with the words of my newly written piece vanished into the ether, unrecoverable as far as I can find.

Why could this be? It's a real turn-off to bothering to retry composing it all again from memory. (Well for the time being anyway.)

When this was experienced previously as mentioned, I tried to get into the habit of copying the whole 'post' draft's text to Clipboard before posting, 'just in case', but this has not proved a necessary precaution for a very long time, - until now : - Now looks like it's a practice worth reviving.

I also had the same thing happen last evening, but when going for "Submit" on a different but similar looking & operating 'php' forum, and that was 3 hours work!
So, a good part of two evenings, completely wasted.
Is there now a time limit on rfemaining logged-in ?

I don't suppose my lost work of tonight can be retrieved, but at this moment, I do need to sound off about this.

[Normal(-ish) service will probably feel more like resuming tomorrow.]
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Re: Getting Logged Out and work lost when trying to Post

Unread postby MRFS » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:04 am

I follow SDLs suggestion these days of composing off-forum using the most basic and clunky text editor imaginable in this machine's case it is Notepad, but on other machines I can go further back into the realms of non-user-friendly text editing.

The reason: I'm less likely to wipe everything through a bit of misplaced drunken fingering (not saying that's what happened to you) but it is always the replies that take the longest to construct that vanish! :twisted: :twisted:
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:57 am

StevieG wrote:Have just experienced something that I sometimes also had, a very long time ago - in early-ish post-'Blower' Forum days.

Tonight, after being logged on about 2-3 hours, browsing without problem, and then spending about 1 hour composing and refining a new post for an existing thread, on hitting "Preview", I was transported straight to the Forum Log-in page, with the words of my newly written piece vanished into the ether, unrecoverable as far as I can find.

Why could this be? It's a real turn-off to bothering to retry composing it all again from memory. (Well for the time being anyway.)

It is almost certainly caused by a "security feature" on your computer deleting your "cookies" after a length of time and thus causing you to be logged out. I very much doubt it is the software on the server doing it.

If this happens to you again, just use the back button on your browser to get back to what you typed and copy it for pasting back in after you have logged in again.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby StevieG » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:37 am

signalman wrote:
StevieG wrote:Have just experienced something that I sometimes also had, a very long time ago - in early-ish post-'Blower' Forum days.

It is almost certainly caused by a "security feature" on your computer deleting your "cookies" after a length of time and thus causing you to be logged out. I very much doubt it is the software on the server doing it.

If this happens to you again, just use the back button on your browser to get back to what you typed and copy it for pasting back in after you have logged in again.

John
Naturally tried 'back', but seemed only to go back to the 'post a reply' window, which was blank; words gone, ready for the reply typing to be started.

Never mind. Offline composing, or copying before preview or submitting, seems the best policy.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:42 am

StevieG wrote:Naturally tried 'back', but seemed only to go back to the 'post a reply' window, which was blank; words gone, ready for the reply typing to be started.

I could say use a better web browser . . .

Incidentally I have checked the configuration and whilst it is possible to place a limit on time taken editing a new post, this is currently set to unlimited. At any rate, that shouldn't put you back to the log-in screen.

J
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby StevieG » Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:45 pm

Thanks v.m. John.

I hadn't realised that any particular web-browser (which shall remain nameless, but only for the sake of discussion, we'll call Goggle) could be less satisfactory in anything like this sort of way, and could have this particular effect.

Seems like something cropped up at my end then, but thanks for looking into it.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Weichenhebel » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:04 pm

StevieG wrote:Tonight, after [...] spending about 1 hour composing and refining a new post for an existing thread, on hitting "Preview", I was transported straight to the Forum Log-in page, with the words of my newly written piece vanished into the ether, unrecoverable as far as I can find. [...]
When this was experienced previously as mentioned, I tried to get into the habit of copying the whole 'post' draft's text to Clipboard before posting, 'just in case',

As an alternative to copying to clipboard, you could use the 'Save' button at the bottom of the 'compose' window. That's a new feature, added in the current version of the forum software.
This is marginally safer anyway, because if your computer has a glitch and has to be restarted (perish the thought...), the clipboard content is lost.
Weichenhebel
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:19 pm

Thanks, Weichen... .
Somehow I'd not realised about the "Save" being there.

As long as clicking on it to safeguard against work loss (or whatever) doesn't actually trigger the 'logout' and work loss, like my "Preview" and "Submit" experiences ....
[which, in any case, of course, have not happened since, anyway.]
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Weichenhebel » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:04 pm

StevieG wrote:Somehow I'd not realised about the "Save" being there.
Me neither :-) Until I went to Settings for some other reason and noticed Manage your drafts there which made me think...
Weichenhebel
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Mon Dec 7, 2009 6:03 pm

Just had the same problem as Steve, again whilst taking quite a while to create a post (Re Holton le Clay). No, I hadn't clicked save, I'll try it now!
Pete.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby StevieG » Mon Dec 7, 2009 11:24 pm

Perversely, I haven't experienced this again since the originally-described 14th Nov. occurrence.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:19 pm

Further on this subject, according to the software documentation there are three things that can cause this:
  1. This may be set by the forum software to time out after a set period (which can be any pre-determined length of time). It can optionally be set to permanent, and indeed is.
  2. The above can be over-ridden by your ISP's settings. Don't ask me how or why!
  3. The above can also be affected by background security software activity on your PC

Having re-checked the forum's settings, I am satisfied that the forum itself is not causing the problem and if you experience this I can only suggest you compose your message separately and "copy and paste" it into the forum form. It is clear that few people experience this and those that do are those keeping the compose page open for an hour or more.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby StevieG » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:45 pm

Thanks John.
A sound tip, I know. After many posts, including a few long 'uns, with nowt going wrong, it's not that difficult to get complacent, and out of that habit, but that's obviously the best idea.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Is Line Clear » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:02 pm

Often we would like a chance to think about our posts and to refine them/check spelling and then think again, before posting. So the D I's suggestion about composing them elsewhere and then copy/paste is a good way to go. Also gives a bit more time to consider what you have said, rather than what you actually intended to say, before hitting the 'submit' button (have done it myself). Sent without composing elsewhere on this occassion, so spelling may be awry!

Adrian
7-5-5
Is Line Clear
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby MRFS » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:54 pm

StevieG wrote:Thanks John.
A sound tip, I know. After many posts, including a few long 'uns, with nowt going wrong, it's not that difficult to get complacent, and out of that habit, but that's obviously the best idea.

Very much so - good tip to learn BBCode LINK so you can alter your text off-forum.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Next

Return to About this forum