Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Overseas

Comments and questions about the forum

Overseas

Unread postby JRB » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:29 am

The point I was trying to make in another thread was that a few years ago there was a long discussion as to what we would regard as Overseas. This led to a firm decision by the DI which now seems to be lost. The odd situation of this country means that no rulig can be completely logical. Please, what was the eventual ruling?
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Re: Overseas

Unread postby Keith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:55 am

Sorry, John, but I believe you have placed this message in the wrong section. It should be in [edit: see next message for correction to this sentence] the section which you have described as looking "like a senior French military feline with 2 acute accents missing from the rank". You correctly placed it there last time you raised it as a specific subject, see viewtopic.php?f=4&t=557&hilit=overseas. We did not come to a specific conclusion then and I notice that the DI made no comment. My impression is that we have survived pretty well up to now, and recent correspondence seems to agree that this is the best option, by considering that the UK, IOM, and Channel Islands are the only places not treated as "overseas". Eurotunnel is a little more of a problem but I think the tendency would be to keep it out of the "overseas" section.
Last edited by Keith on Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby Keith » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:58 am

Oops - I meant it should be in "About this forum", but I don't want to delete the reference. :wink:
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby JRB » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:02 pm

Controversial already. I'd like to keep the ROI with the UK group, as signallingwise and historically, Ireland is an entity and largely follows British S&T traditions. I intend no disrespect to the Republic. I couldn't very well after the way their railway shews ours up in many respects.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:00 am

JRB wrote:The point I was trying to make in another thread was that a few years ago there was a long discussion as to what we would regard as Overseas. This led to a firm decision by the DI which now seems to be lost. The odd situation of this country means that no rulig can be completely logical. Please, what was the eventual ruling?

That discussion was correctly in the About This Forum section and is titled Overseas so it is easily found so I am surprised the discussion has been raised again here.

Looking at that discussion I do not see any firm ruling and I don't really see it is necessary. The United Kingdom includes Northern Ireland but not Eire. The term Overseas should not be taken literally but used in a loose sense.

I accept I wrongly moved discussion about Belfast-Larne to Overseas owing to my ignorance of Irish geography, and have now moved it back to where the original poster correctly placed it.

I don't think there is really anything further to discuss, but if there is, perhaps it could be placed in the correct discussion at:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=557

I'm moving this from Overseas to About This Forum

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to About this forum