Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Larry Crosier

Comments and questions about the forum

Larry Crosier

Unread postby JRB » Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:50 pm

We don't have a miscellaneous section any more, so there is no really appropriate place for this. I think however it is important to make known the bad news that Larry Crosier, well known to SRS, BR(W) and others, died today shortly after having gone into hospital with cancer of the throat. RIP.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Re: Larry Crosier

Unread postby StevieG » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:20 pm

In one sense, not news that anyone who knew Larry would want to hear ; In every way that matters, I thank you for imparting this to us. A sad loss to our world of a wonderful character indeed.
Hoping that, for no reason unknown to me, it is not inappropriate, if anyone can convey condolences to Mary, it would be much appreciated.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:32 am

Thats a very sad loss. Met him at the SRS 40th AGM last year. I would like to pass on my condolences as well.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Adrian the Rock » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:34 am

This is really sad news indeed. I also met Larry at the 40th AGM, it seems like only yesterday.
Adrian the Rock
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby JRB » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:14 pm

I shall be writing to Mary later today and will include all items from this thread.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Chris Osment » Sat Jul 31, 2010 6:06 pm

Such sad news. It is some while since I last met him in person, but we corresponded on a number of occasions last year - I was being asked by a contact for information relating to signalling in the Plymouth area, and Larry was always willing to pass on his knowledge. It was always a pleasure to talk to him - I am sure that he will be greatly missed by all who had the privilege to know him.
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Natalie » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:00 pm

Really sad news indeed. I only spoke to Mr Crosier on one occasion so I doubt he would have a clue who I was- but I certainly knew who he was. I have long enjoyed his many articles and books on GWR/WR signalling. Now he has gone to that great block post in the sky- with no white levers around- we can give thanks for the life of one of signalling's statesman and gentleman. I'm sure all fellow members of this board would like to extend our deepest sympathies to his family in this awful time for them and hope that the affection that we (as a signalling community) had for Larry will in time serve as a comfort to them.
Natalie
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Hitsville USA » Mon Aug 2, 2010 8:45 pm

I first met Larry in 1977 when I started on the WR, he worked in the stationery stores in Western Tower at Reading and was ultimately responsible for me joining the SRS. There was a bit if a clue amongst all the paperwork with copies of signalbox diagrams lying around & finding out he was a former relief signalman in Plymouth. Occassional trips to Western Tower led to a membership form being handed over and member no 537 started receiving copies of the "Record" to while away the times in various signalboxes in the London Division of the WR

We have lost a valued friend and colleague. The signalling world is poorer for his passing but he leaves a fund of memories and a legacy of knowledge for future generations of signalmen & women.

Thanks Larry,

D.R. Davidson
Didnt take me long to realise that a Welwyn Control was not for timing your boiled eggs !!!!
Hitsville USA
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Aug 4, 2010 11:41 am

I too would like to add my comments, I met Larry on a number of occaisions, a real charactor and a great story teller. Our world (that of railway signalling history) has lost one of the greats.

My sympathy goes out to Mary who was always at the SRS meetings with Larry pouring many cups of tea for us thirsty lot.

Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Wed Aug 4, 2010 12:51 pm

To the world of the signalling enthusiast I would say that Larry was, possibly, the greatest. Why do I say this? Well, because without him this forum probably wouldn't exist for a start. As I understand it, it was his idea to try and promote a society to cater for those interested in signalling and, fortunately, his colleagues John Morris, George Pryer, David Wittamore and David Collins agreed. The rest, as they say, is history.

Founding that society was fundamental to the growth of interest in signalling because, for the first time ever, it provided a vehicle for signalling enthusiasts to come together and share ideas, experiences and information. If it had never been formed I suspect that most of us would be pursuing our interest as 'loners,' unaware of the large number of like-minded people out there.

Yes, Larry was a great character and raconteur and a mine of information. But the fact that we have all been brought together in the way we have must surely be his greatest legacy.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Hitsville USA » Thu Aug 5, 2010 9:42 am

"But the fact that we have all been brought together in the way we have must surely be his greatest legacy"

Couldnt have put it better myself, I think he would be quietly proud of that statement.

Would it be possible for the funeral details to be posted up when they are known

Thanks,

D.R. Davidson
Didnt take me long to realise that a Welwyn Control was not for timing your boiled eggs !!!!
Hitsville USA
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby JRB » Thu Aug 5, 2010 4:17 pm

From Mike Page I hear:

"It was very sad news to learn of Larry`s passing last week. He was a very regular presence at our Thursday Club meetings and I`m sure we`ll all miss his cheery face in the future.

For your information, the funeral will be at 1300hrs on 16th August, at the Coley Baptist Church, Wensley Road, Reading.

Les Harper tells me, there is a suitable bus service from outside Reading Station, No 24, leaving every 20 minutes at xx03,xx23,xx43 past the hour.

MIP"
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Fri Aug 6, 2010 7:29 am

At this time, when those of us who knew him are thinking of Larry, I thought I would share this little story with you, which just goes to show what a remarkabe man he was.

Some years ago (and I can't remember exactly when or why) we found ourselves short of a 'signalman' at Exeter West Box one Saturday. Casting around to think who might fill the breach I thought of Larry, so I rang him up and asked if he fancied coming up and working the box for a day.

He thought for a bit and then agreed, but asking if I could send him a copy of the diagram and locking details. I duly gathered these together and posted them off to him.

Saturday arrived and Larry duly turned up at the box. After a short briefing, simulated operations began and I was amazed to see, after only twenty minutes, a man who had never worked Exeter West in his life, handling that box as though he had always known it. I have never seen anyone else approach that level of capability after such a short time. And it was so nice to hear a proper Devon accent back in the box again - I wish we had done it more, and that I could have captured it on video.

As Adrian Vaughan said to me in a recent 'phone conversation, Larry could probably have been General Manager of the Western Region if he had been so minded - he certainly had the capability. But he remained content with his lot - just like many other railwaymen whose skills and abilities probably never really received the recognition they deserved.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Natalie » Fri Aug 6, 2010 11:48 am

It has been really nice to read of the warmth and affection directed towards Larry by those who knew him much much better than I did. He is typical of the characters that I feel probably attracted a lot of us to signalbox work in the first place- welcoming, friendly, accepting and always keen to pass on his astounding knowledge and experience to those who were interested to listen.

Maybe- with the passing of other pioneers and stalwarts in the signalling record/enthusiast movement (I am not sure how to word things here) people such as John Morris and George Pryer maybe a permanent tribute to their pioneering work in establishing signalling as a bona fide historical interest could be established by the SRS as recognition.
Natalie
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby JRB » Tue Aug 10, 2010 6:29 pm

Mary Crosier has just telephoned to say that she very much appreciates all the comments posted here [which I forwarded on paper].
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to About this forum