Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

A new forum section is needed

Comments and questions about the forum

Re: A new forum section is needed

Unread postby JRB » Wed Aug 4, 2010 7:29 pm

Markus Redd wrote:I don't normally post on fora but I feel I must say that I am amazed at what I am reading here. This is one of the best that I frequent but never have I encountered members telling admin how to run the show. Why dont you guys enjoy what you have instead of moaning. This one does what it says on the box and I certainly like it the way it is.

Enjoyment and losing someone like Larry do not belong in the same discussion.
Last edited by JRB on Thu Aug 5, 2010 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby MRFS » Wed Aug 4, 2010 11:54 pm

<4d>

JRB wrote:
Markus Redd wrote:I don't normally post on fora but I feel I must say that I am amazed at what I am reading here. This is one of the best that I frequent but never have I encountered members telling admin how to run the show. Why dont you guys enjoy what you have instead of moaning. This one does what it says on the box and I certainly like it the way it is.

Enjoyment and losing someone like Larry do not belong inn the same discussion.

Absolutely not - but the crown prince of wet blankethood could [1] have been seen to be using an immensely sad event to pursue a personal and seemingly partially irrational agenda.

I am exceptionally surprised that a regular, informed and respected member and cogent contributor of this forum does not read all boards. :shock: :shock:

[1]I am not for one picosecond levelling this at the person in question, and I hope that person does not read that as an ad hominem attack and nor does said person feel that I am levelling a charge of ad hominem tu quoque at any one person involved in either the primary or secondary cause.

We are here as guests of Mr. Hinson [2]; the least we can do is to both respect and acknowledge his views - hence my suggestion and request about PMing the DI and if the DI feels appropriate he then 'PMs all'.

[2] Yes we are; I don't care how much anyone chooses to squirm and bluster we are here at the pleasure of the DI - and signalling allusions aside this is a very level, rational forum and (usually) quite gentlemanly.

</4d>
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Thu Aug 5, 2010 7:20 am

I'm not sure I entirely understand some of the recent postings on this subject, but it seems to me that the situation is very clear cut. We used to have a vehicle for posting news such as needed to be imparted recently but that was taken away. The person who originally posted the news about Larry Crosier began by saying 'We don't have a miscellaneous section any more so there is no really appropriate place for this' and then posted in the 'About this Forum' section. Not knowing that this posting had been made I then posted the same information under the 'Signalling - Historical' section, again because there was no really appropriate section to use. On discovering what had happened I then began a discussion about the need for a new forum section to replace the previous 'General Chat' and was requested by the DI to continue that discussion in the 'About this Forum' section, which is what I did. Since then several contributors have supported the idea of a new section along the lines of 'Signalling -announcements and miscellania.'

What has happened indicates that there is a clear deficiency in the current arrangements and it seems to me that it shouldn't be difficult to address the problem. It has been pointed out to me by another contributor to the forum that a new section was very quickly created to allow information to be posted for SRS purposes, so presumably there should be little difficulty in creating a section where information that doesn't sit comfortably in any of the other forum sections, but which has relevance to signalling, could be posted.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Thu Aug 5, 2010 4:50 pm

Peter - what you are actually saying is that there is a clear deficiency in the way you consider this forum should be run. You are entitled to your opinion on this, as is anybody, but I personally am beginning to find your persistence a little heavy. You haven't really offered anything new in your last posting.

Various people have had their say and I am currently considering a number of possibilities - whatever I choose to do will obviously not please all. But I do feel that a good range of points have been made and I will try and find a reasonable answer to this problem-to-some but remember the final decision is mine and not open to further demands of change.

Unless anybody has any fresh ideas on the subject then I think things are about exhausted for now so please will you all allow me a little time. I currently have my own family matters to deal with which prevent me having as much time to devote to organising this forum as I would like.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Thu Aug 5, 2010 5:15 pm

No, John, I am not saying there is a deficiency in the way that the forum is run, and I apologise if I gave you that impression. What I am saying is that sometimes signalling-related items crop up that won't fit comfortably into any of the forum sections that we currently have so we need somewhere for such information to go.

Thanks for clarifying that you are considering options and I hope that you will feel able to come up with something that will help prevent inappropriate posting in the future.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby JRB » Fri Aug 6, 2010 1:04 pm

The D.I. created this forum. It is his and his alone. If anyone does not like it, they can just go and start one they do like. Simple, isn’t it? Well, no, not exactly. By being so good, this forum has, deservedly, established a de facto monopoly. Anyone trying to start another would stand as much chance as a wrong line order in a Romesse. This does impose on the D.I. a certain moral responsibility to take more notice of his contributors’ wishes than would otherwise be the case. He does not like undue frivolity or straying from the subject, but sometimes discussions naturally lead away from the subject. Formerly, these digressions had a useful safety valve in ‘Chat’, but it has gone. The railway monthlies find it appropriate to have columns with such names as ‘Blood & Custard’, Call Attention’ & ‘Stop & Examine’ for this purpose. No doubt some editorial staff find them undignified and undesirable, but they fill a need. I would ask the D.I. to be noble and self-sacrificing (and proud thereof) and include things which are not totally to his liking. As well as Chat, there are such personal things such as the one which set off this discussion and other non-technical matters. For example, a message I recently forwarded mentions the ‘Thursday Club’. This is an S&T thing which might well interest our people.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Aug 7, 2010 8:11 am

OK, I'm sorry to have delayed this so long but this is how I have decided things will work best for everybody's benefit:

• Important announcements (which can include open days, meetings, obituaries or other relevant happenings will appear in this forum's Announcements and Important Information section.
  • Submissions for it must be submitted by the PM system to me, and it will be my judgement whether such items are appropriate for inclusion there.
  • Each announcement will consist of one entry, there will be no follow-up discussion.
  • Those who submit items for this section must accept responsibility for providing further information by PM or other off-forum method.
  • Each announcement will include reference of the need to contact that specific person for more information.

With specific reference to obituaries, I do not believe any part of this forum is the right place for ongoing threads of things like "he was a great bloke" for, as I said, these would be far better appreciated by the bereaved. Out of respect, I have not stopped the flow of these but must say I am surprised the comments continued despite my discouraging words. Love for people should be a very private thing and I do feel it is totally inappropriate to publish it to the world here. Apart from that, a large proportion of the participants in this forum will have never known the person so it is meaningless to them.

It was implied that certain founder members of the Signalling Record Society were behind the setting up of this web site and its associated forum. This is not the case, I alone created the web site initially as a way of a) putting much of which I kept in my head in writing, and b) to share records and knowledge which are of no use to anyone stuffed in a cupboard - young boys for some reason hoard all sorts of things in the name of a hobby but as you grow older you start to wonder why. Whilst the web site has grown massively since those first plans, the basic idea persists. The site is not directly associated with the SRS but we do work together and support each other's sites. I have been a member of the SRS for many years but I was not there in the founding days (my membership number is an out-of-gauge load bell signal!) and I do hold a couple of official-sounding positions which fortunately do not require much effort on my part.

With reference to creation of new sections of the forum, I will provide dedicated sections to facilitate any angle of signalling-related discussion as appropriate - at my discretion. That is not to say I will provide them to order, nor at short notice.

As to model railway matters, I have always had it in mind that if traffic justified it, we could provide a dedicated section. In practice, enquiries have been fairly limited and we have been able to cater for them adequately with the existing sections.

The true need for any section of the forum is whether there would be enough postings to justify its presence, because the divisions are there to help people not interested in certain subjects to ignore the other material. This is the basis on which I consider each suggestion.

Best wishes,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Sat Aug 7, 2010 8:26 am

You say, 'It was implied that certain founder members of the Signalling Record Society were behind the setting up of this website and its associated forum.' Can you tell us exactly where this was implied, please? I certainly don't recall any postings that suggested that.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby JRB » Sat Aug 7, 2010 8:35 am

It should be noted that this forum has been the only means by which tributes from many of Larry Crosier's admirers have been able to reach his widow. I will print out & post the latest ones later today. How will the new arrangements cover that situation?
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Aug 7, 2010 9:00 am

JRB wrote:It should be noted that this forum has been the only means by which tributes from many of Larry Crosier's admirers have been able to reach his widow. I will print out & post the latest ones later today. How will the new arrangements cover that situation?

In this specific instance you (as the original source of the announcement) would have been the contact listed in the announcement. They would have either channelled their words through you or obtained an address to send to, according to your preferences.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to About this forum