Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

The delete.....

Comments and questions about the forum

The delete.....

Unread postby MRFS » Sun Dec 4, 2011 2:56 am

..we-ee-eel... I say this guardedly as I'm sailing under quite a heavy wind at the mo - but the option for the 'once deleted this can never be recovered' bar with a tick box (or radio button) seems to have vanished off 'Southern' - both on Win 7/Chrome and Froyo [1]/Dolphin

[1] probably 'Gingerbread', but I ain't got root and don't want it!
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Re: The delete.....

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Dec 4, 2011 4:23 am

MRFS wrote:..we-ee-eel... I say this guardedly as I'm sailing under quite a heavy wind at the mo - but the option for the 'once deleted this can never be recovered' bar with a tick box (or radio button) seems to have vanished off 'Southern' - both on Win 7/Chrome and Froyo [1]/Dolphin

[1] probably 'Gingerbread', but I ain't got root and don't want it!

Its hard for me to tell as you will appreciate that when I log in I have quite a lot of options open to me that others don't get. For me the delete is an "X" button immediately to the left of the "i" "report this post" and to the right of some options that I know you won't have.

If it has vanished from other schemes as well, such as "Midland", then I suspect it has been removed with the upgrade - but if it is still there then we have to blame it on the designer of the "Caledonian" scheme.

Either way I don't think I can do a lot about it. When I'm on-line, if I see any posts that have been edited to blank (as I did with yours before reading this post) it is minimal effort take them out to tidy things up so no real problem.

Best wishes,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Keith » Sun Dec 4, 2011 10:58 am

I hadn't noticed this change, but I've just had a careful look at each of the styles and they all have the folllowing options for each posting, though in widely differing formats: edit [only your own postings]; report; reply/quote; profile/click on the member's name; post/click on the heading [this one just takes you to the posting you're looking at already, but allows you to copy its direct url]; pm. I can't think of any others that have appeared or disappeared since the changeover.
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Dec 4, 2011 12:15 pm

Keith wrote:I hadn't noticed this change, but I've just had a careful look at each of the styles and they all have the folllowing options for each posting, though in widely differing formats: edit [only your own postings]; report; reply/quote; profile/click on the member's name; post/click on the heading [this one just takes you to the posting you're looking at already, but allows you to copy its direct url]; pm. I can't think of any others that have appeared or disappeared since the changeover.

It sounds like its vanished in the name of progress, then. Just like certain things in the Rules and Regulations . . .

If anybody is concerned over something they wrote and needs a posting deleted, they are welcome to contact me but if urgent do at least edit your text out first.

J
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Dec 4, 2011 4:19 pm

Further to the above, I have found a setting that allows deletion of a post within a limited time period - I have set this to the maximum (99999 minutes) which should help in some cases.

It would be interesting to know if this shows up in any or all of the various schemes.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Dec 4, 2011 5:39 pm

...John,

In 'Midland', just tested creating a further post in this thread using both "Quote" and "Post reply". After posting, in both cases, an "x" delete button appeared beside the "!" button, and using both was effective in deleting the post, with each being followed use of the "X" being followed by an 'Are you sure? Y/N'-type message requiring confirmation before deletion was executed.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby MRFS » Sun Dec 4, 2011 5:50 pm

I shall experiment.......

The delete bar is back on Gingerbread/Dolphin/Southern - on the phone as checking out a pub for a bellringing meeting.

I can save (some) drunken errors! Many thanks.
Last edited by MRFS on Sun Dec 4, 2011 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby Keith » Sun Dec 4, 2011 5:56 pm

MRFS wrote:I shall experiment.......
Thank you - that saves me going through a similar process to earlier. 8)
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby MRFS » Sun Dec 4, 2011 6:01 pm

I'll do the rest in a tick when I'm on the :pooter of doom.

MRFS

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Dec 4, 2011 8:03 pm

StevieG wrote:...John,

In 'Midland', just tested creating a further post in this thread using both "Quote" and "Post reply". After posting, in both cases, an "x" delete button appeared beside the "!" button, and using both was effective in deleting the post, with each being followed use of the "X" being followed by an 'Are you sure? Y/N'-type message requiring confirmation before deletion was executed.
... If that previous post of mine is irrelevant, - apologies.

I ask because I realise that I'm actually not sure what the "...'once deleted this can never be recovered' bar with a tick box (or radio button)...", actually is.
[ And I've no idea what 'Gingerbread', 'root', and 'Froyo /Dolphin' are. ]
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby MRFS » Sun Dec 4, 2011 11:32 pm

StevieG wrote:
StevieG wrote:...John,

... If that previous post of mine is irrelevant, - apologies.

I ask because I realise that I'm actually not sure what the "...'once deleted this can never be recovered' bar with a tick box (or radio button)...", actually is.
[ And I've no idea what 'Gingerbread', 'root', and 'Froyo /Dolphin' are. ]

It's vanished off all styles now on the computer - I think to make the DI's life easier we create a blank (well, it has to have at least a full stop in) post in the case of error.

StevieG Froyo/Gingerbread are different flavours of Android: akin to Vista/Windows 7 - Dolphin is merely a web browser for phones - 'root' - well best expressed in this quote from Wikipedia: Rooting is a process that allows users of mobile phones and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's Linux subsystem with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and manufacturers put on some devices. It is analogous to jailbreaking on devices running the Apple iOS operating system.

MRFS

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Dec 4, 2011 11:55 pm

MRFS wrote:It's vanished off all styles now on the computer - I think to make the DI's life easier we create a blank (well, it has to have at least a full stop in) post in the case of error.

StevieG Froyo/Gingerbread are different flavours of Android: akin to Vista/Windows 7 - Dolphin is merely a web browser for phones - 'root' - well best expressed in this quote from Wikipedia: Rooting is a process that allows users of mobile phones and other devices running the Android operating system to attain privileged control (known as "root access") within Android's Linux subsystem with the goal of overcoming limitations that carriers and manufacturers put on some devices. It is analogous to jailbreaking on devices running the Apple iOS operating system.
Thanks v.m. Though some of that is still gibbledygock to me (no fault ofyours).
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:37 pm

I don't know if this is any help as I only use the default scheme and I don't understand what problem is at issue here. However I thought it might be worth mentioning a deletion issue I recall which arose on another forum using (a previous version of) this package, although it doesn't sound directly relevant to the immediate problem.

The administrators on that board had allowed ordinary users to delete their own posts, and that worked fine. Unfortunately it had an unwanted side effect in that if they deleted the first post in a thread, then the whole thread disappeared, which was considered undesirable. I understood there was some control setting available which allowed users to delete only their second and subsequent posts, but in the event they decided it was simpler just to reserve the posting deletion capability to themselves.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Dec 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Mike Hodgson wrote:I don't know if this is any help as I only use the default scheme and I don't understand what problem is at issue here. However I thought it might be worth mentioning a deletion issue I recall which arose on another forum using (a previous version of) this package, although it doesn't sound directly relevant to the immediate problem.

The administrators on that board had allowed ordinary users to delete their own posts, and that worked fine. Unfortunately it had an unwanted side effect in that if they deleted the first post in a thread, then the whole thread disappeared, which was considered undesirable. I understood there was some control setting available which allowed users to delete only their second and subsequent posts, but in the event they decided it was simpler just to reserve the posting deletion capability to themselves.

I think the situation here is that you can only delete your own posts, and then only within a set amount of time from the post being made. The only configuration I can make from behind the scenes is to vary that length of time - I have set it to the maximum. I don't think behaviour will vary according to the scheme used.

Of course, I myself can gleefully delete whole threads or even every posting ever made by a particular person. Makes me feel very powerful!

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Bob Davies » Sun Dec 18, 2011 2:03 pm

Signalman wrote:Of course, I myself can gleefully delete whole threads or even every posting ever made by a particular person. Makes me feel very powerful!

What I have noticed from another board is that while the moderator can indeed delete every post made by a particular person, if their posts have been quoted by others, those references of course remain so the ghosts of trolls can live on, and it can make very peculiar reading!
Bob D
Bob Davies
Branch line box
Branch line box

Next

Return to About this forum