Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Forum on 'go slow.'

Comments and questions about the forum

Forum on 'go slow.'

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:02 am

I've found that downloading and uploading forum material seems to be happening incredibly slowly this morning. It took about a minute for my last posting regarding the use of 1-2-3 to be accepted after I clicked the 'Submit' button.

Anyone else noticed this phenomenon and know what may be causing the 'go slow?'

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Re: Forum on 'go slow.'

Unread postby Andrea » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:19 am

Could it just be that the internet is extremely busy with the holidays and New Year etc? My internet slowed to a crawl loading pages last night.
Andrea
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Keith » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:56 am

Whenever the forum has been slow for me, everything else has been slow as well, sometimes extremely slow, so I can't see that it's anything to do with the forum - I tend to agree with Andrea on this one.
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Jan 1, 2012 7:12 am

I wasn't able to access the internet yesterday owing to a family problem. However, I do get notified by email and SMS if there are any server issues of this nature. Normally, the only time the server itself runs slowly is when full backups are in progress which are timed for the early hours at weekends and even then it is rarely perceptible. A few months ago we did encounter some unexpected heavy loads on the server which could not be explained but (as is always the way) ever since monitoring processes were put in place to identify the cause, everything has been 101% ticketyboo.

The only other thing within my zone that can cause slow access is if one of the two "pipelines" to the server (which are with different providers) is out of action through failure or maintenance; this causes all traffic to run through the other one which, at peak times, can limit the speed of traffic despite the server itself running at normal speed. I haven't had any reports of such outages (planned or unplanned) for many months.

A few weeks back I did find one user's avatar, which was on a remote server, gave major problems with loading some pages. This must have been a configuration problem at his end as an image shouldn't normally do that. Disabling it solved that, along with a suggestion the image can be uploaded to our server which would avoid any such issues.

Occasionally slow running can be caused by inexplicable local circumstances. It is always worth both clearing your browser cache and re-starting the computer if you experience such problems. Re-starting the broadband modem often helps, too (this causes you to connect through your ISP through a different gateway). I discovered the value of the first of those three with two computers in the same room responding completely differently until I cleared the cache on the slow one.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Sun Jan 1, 2012 8:00 am

Thanks very much for that useful explanation, John. Since I posted my query I haven't experienced any further problems.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby David Holden » Sun Jan 1, 2012 11:32 am

Something has happened, it has been v slow for some time but since about 10 this morning it's back to normal.
Perhaps everybody is still in bed!
David Holden
David Holden
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Jan 1, 2012 11:49 am

David Holden wrote:Something has happened, it has been v slow for some time but since about 10 this morning it's back to normal.
Perhaps everybody is still in bed!

Please read my points above. It is not the forum or server that is causing you problems.

I have been up since 5 am and have been accessing the server for various reasons since then without any issues. My broadband is always slow, a price you pay for living in the sticks, so I am likely to notice any slowness issues before those with faster connections.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby kredyty » Thu Jan 5, 2012 1:13 pm

its work ok forum =)

ps -from poland im
kredyty
Trainee
Trainee