Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

How should I introduce myself?

Comments and questions about the forum

How should I introduce myself?

Unread postby rower40 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:14 pm

I'm new to this forum, but not to the subject. (More about ME in a bit.)

Most fora I frequent have an "Office Reception" thread where new users can introduce themselves. I can see this being particularly useful in a field as technical and diverse as Railway Signalling. I may have missed an appropriate thread for the info below; if so, I'd be happy to move it.

Me: I joined BR Research in 1988; within a year, I was developing software and writing data for IECC. Been doing that ever since, for its successor companies AEA Technology and DeltaRail.

I know more than is conducive to sanity about ARS; how it works, what it bases its decisions on, and why it gets things wrong. Similarly I have quite an in-depth knowledge of SSI data, and how it is not so much a signalling system as a safety-critical programming language.

I am also a volunteer signalman on the Bodmin & Wenford Railway, where I was passed-out to operate Bodmin General box in August 2011.
rower40
Crossing box
Crossing box

Re: How should I introduce myself?

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:08 am

rower40 wrote:I'm new to this forum, but not to the subject. (More about ME in a bit.)

Most fora I frequent have an "Office Reception" thread where new users can introduce themselves. I can see this being particularly useful in a field as technical and diverse as Railway Signalling. I may have missed an appropriate thread for the info below; if so, I'd be happy to move it.

Me: I joined BR Research in 1988; within a year, I was developing software and writing data for IECC. Been doing that ever since, for its successor companies AEA Technology and DeltaRail.

I know more than is conducive to sanity about ARS; how it works, what it bases its decisions on, and why it gets things wrong. Similarly I have quite an in-depth knowledge of SSI data, and how it is not so much a signalling system as a safety-critical programming language.

I am also a volunteer signalman on the Bodmin & Wenford Railway, where I was passed-out to operate Bodmin General box in August 2011.

Hello!

Welcome along. We haven't any dedicated area for introductions and usually this is done (by those who wish to) when they make a post with a question or answer.

I hope you enjoy your time spent here.

Kindest regards,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to About this forum