Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

The outage

Comments and questions about the forum

The outage

Unread postby John Hinson » Mon May 14, 2012 3:11 pm

The old data has now been replaced with data current to the point when the server was turned off.

This means that the very few postings made since the new server came on-line are now lost of course.

Recently registered members should be able to log in now.

I still have a little work to do behind the scenes.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The outage

Unread postby MRFS » Mon May 14, 2012 3:25 pm

Thank-you.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby JRB » Mon May 14, 2012 4:05 pm

P H E W !
That was a real undesired cliff-hanger. At least there has been a recovery (THANKS!), unlike 30937 site which was abandoned after an attack.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Mad Mac » Mon May 14, 2012 4:27 pm

As always, Sir, we appreciate your efforts in providing this fine forum and keeping us informed.
Mad Mac
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Keith » Mon May 14, 2012 5:21 pm

Thank you John - your efforts are greatly appreciated.

As far as I could see, the lost postings were mostly about the outage and so are no longer relevant anyway.
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby StevieG » Mon May 14, 2012 7:46 pm

Keith wrote: " Thank you John - your efforts are greatly appreciated. .... "
Indeed so.
While the cause was unwanted, unavoidable or whatever, such an unexpected temporary loss of the whole show serves as a good reminder that it exists thanks to voluntary, unpaid and time-consuming effort and which, although much used, valued, enjoyed, and for some perhaps, relied upon as a service, we should remember that it is not indestructable and cannot be taken for granted (- so easily done thanks to its usual reliability).

Very many thanks John !
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby The Major » Mon May 14, 2012 8:26 pm

Indeed, thanks John, as another member described the forum was in a timewarp last night - so much so it was before I became a member so my name didn't exist! Anyway glad to log in now and thanks for the updates on the outage. Cheers John.
The Major
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby JRB » Mon May 14, 2012 8:32 pm

Indeed, indeed.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby kbarber » Tue May 15, 2012 8:53 am

My thanks too. I suspect I speak for a good few in saying that the Blower is a much appreciated part of our everyday lives and we miss it badly when something happens (the more so because it is so reliable). Some of us found ourselves part of an ad-hoc network of concern, I guess others were less fortunate and thus tried to get information when partial service resumed.

John, I know you hate being referred to as the DI, but so far as I'm concerned one of the defining characteristics of a proper DI was the respect in which he was held - always deserved and often regularly earned. As it has been again this weekend.

Doubtless thanks are due to Mrs DI as well, who was either up to her elbows in it alongside you or who will be very pleased to have got her husband back.

(But I don't want to resurrect the soubriquet beyond this point; hopefully other members will not take it up.)

Warm regards,
K
kbarber
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue May 15, 2012 9:40 am

Thank you, all - it is nice in some ways to appear indispensable but in other ways it is not. "Mrs DI" has been very supportive throughout the problems (which, outside the forum, still have a few issues to resolve) in particular because I have not been in good health lately and was barely fit to deal with the issues. Some of you may have noticed I have posted rather less than usual in recent weeks. I'm also not easily able to access my records and archives at present owing to extensive house repairs (under insurance, fortunately) following what was in essence a very minor water leak.

The forum will go on for as long as it can but its being dependent on one person does make it susceptible to vanishing permanently. I'm not planning to meet my maker imminently but obviously it will happen one day. Other issues (health, finance, marbles) could also cause its loss. Perhaps we should look at a long-term plan some time, although just at the moment I have other things I must focus on.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Tue May 15, 2012 10:18 am

As I know (as many others do) of your long-standing involvement with the 'Signalling Record Society,' maybe the running of the Forum would be a function that they could consider taking on. Having sucha Forum would seem to fit very nicely with the Society's aims and objectives.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby JRB » Tue May 15, 2012 10:22 am

The IRSE is also a possibility. There have been faint stirrings towards their having such a thing from time to time.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Just another word of thanks for your efforts John.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Is Line Clear » Tue May 15, 2012 5:07 pm

signalman wrote:Thank you, all - it is nice in some ways to appear indispensable but in other ways it is not. "Mrs DI" has been very supportive throughout the problems (which, outside the forum, still have a few issues to resolve) in particular because I have not been in good health lately and was barely fit to deal with the issues. Some of you may have noticed I have posted rather less than usual in recent weeks. I'm also not easily able to access my records and archives at present owing to extensive house repairs (under insurance, fortunately) following what was in essence a very minor water leak.

The forum will go on for as long as it can but its being dependent on one person does make it susceptible to vanishing permanently. I'm not planning to meet my maker imminently but obviously it will happen one day. Other issues (health, finance, marbles) could also cause its loss. Perhaps we should look at a long-term plan some time, although just at the moment I have other things I must focus on.

John

Well , D I Hinson, I am glad you are not planning to turn your toes up just yet!

It might be appropriate, however, to appoint someone else to assist you in maintaining this site, with all the knowledge contained therein.

This might take some of the pressure on you and let you take a break to do what you need to do in your personal life.
In no way to suggest that you bow out, but merely to take some pressure off you and if the unthinkable were to happen, to ensure that your 'baby' can grow to maturity and continue into the future.

I am sure that you have some suitably qualified members of the group in mind who may be able to assist.

Adrian Lee
7-5-5
Is Line Clear
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Tue May 15, 2012 6:34 pm

John,

I would also like to add my thanks to you for all the effort you put into maintaining your website and the forum (also for keeping us in good order). A few of us were in direct email communication during the outage because we were very concerned that something personal had happened so I am extremely glad to hear that what occurred has proved to be manageable.

I would be happy to provide my support to in any way possible (have you thought about having moderators as on other forums to take some of the pressure off you?).

Finally I would like to add that I consider your forum to be the best run and most informative on the web. Keep up the good work (and don't panic!!).
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Next

Return to About this forum