Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Icons

Comments and questions about the forum

Icons

Unread postby Pete2320 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:25 pm

signalman wrote:To use the PM system just click on the icon with the "heads and shoulders".

I can't find this icon! To PM I go to "Members" and click the "PM" button in the chosen members line. I've also found that the "Username begins with" facility doesn't work either- the drop down list is empty. It used to! Is this a problem on the site (I use the Southern version) or as I half suspect, that the site has been up dated and my computer, which is probably classed as old, can't cope with it.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Re: Icons

Unread postby S&TEngineer » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:35 pm

Pete2320 wrote:
signalman wrote:To use the PM system just click on the icon with the "heads and shoulders".

I can't find this icon! To PM I go to "Members" and click the "PM" button in the chosen members line. I've also found that the "Username begins with" facility doesn't work either- the drop down list is empty. It used to! Is this a problem on the site (I use the Southern version) or as I half suspect, that the site has been up dated and my computer, which is probably classed as old, can't cope with it.

Pete

Pete, The icon should be at the bottom of each post (its the one with the two symbols (shoulders) and pm on it. This will open the PM page with the posters contact details already there.
Regards,
S&TEngineer
-----------------------------------------------------
Out of this nettle, Danger, we pluck this flower, Safety.
Henry IV, Part 1, Act 2, Scene 3
S&TEngineer

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:42 pm

...but in fairness to Pete, in the "Southern" scheme the PM button has no "head and shoulders" icon and is very small! It's there, though, at the bottom of each post, next to "Profile".
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby MRFS » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:25 am

A clue:

as I'm a southerner too...
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:02 am

Sorry, it never occurred to me it would vary between schemes . . . doh!

This is how it should look in the default scheme:
pete.jpg
(5.95 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

Don't blame your computer, Pete - the "Southern" scheme is no longer officially supported by the software developers so there may be a few minor features that don't work 100%. The "official" and default scheme of this forum is "Caledonian" from which you can choose from a range of colours with the "Colour Swatch" button. The others have really only been retained for those that have got to like them.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Pete2320 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:37 pm

Thanks for all that. I've tried the "Caledonian" and it does indeed work as intended. I also tried "Midland" which seems to manage all the features (that I tried) of Caledonian but differentley! A bit like railway signalling I suppose. None the less, I've reverted to Southern but will remember to change to another for certain features- principally to PM somebody without a link from a thread.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MRFS » Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 pm

I just delete the unwanted bits and title.

Or PM through the profile which gives a blank start.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Return to About this forum