Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Summer meet up 2015 St Albans

Comments and questions about the forum

Re: Summer meet up 2015 St Albans

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:49 pm

Here here to that, I've been trying to visit this place for sometime now but it was never open when I could get there!
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Pete2320 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:44 pm

Should also make it.

Pete
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Webb » Tue May 12, 2015 8:53 am

We are now approaching the meet-up on June 20th at St Albans South with about six weeks to go. I can confirm we'll be open from 10.30am with tea/coffee/biscuits and will start our tour round the place at 11am approx.

To give us an idea of numbers for the said tea/coffee/biscuits and the pub afterwards, I'd be grateful for a brief PM from those who are coming.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Tue May 12, 2015 9:48 pm

Nice and handy for me, but unfortunately I can't make that date.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Webb » Mon Jun 8, 2015 8:43 am

I've received 7 positives and one possible for Sat 20th, so far.

If any one else is coming besides those who have already sent me a PM, I'd be most grateful for a PM, particularly so we know how many for the pub lunch afterwards.
John Webb
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby kbarber » Tue Jun 9, 2015 8:02 am

I'm now going to have to slide off quickly after a fairly quick lunch... my sister has decided that is to be the day of a Family Barbeque!
kbarber
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Peter Gibbons » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:02 pm

Unfortunately I'm not able to make this.

For those of you who are going, and intend travelling to St Albans by rail, please be warned that because on engineering works, East Midlands services will only run from the north as far as Luton and may be subject to delay or cancellation south of Kettering. Thameslink services will only run between St Albans and Bedford. This is because a redundant bridge between Elstree and Radlett is to demolished, also commissioning of new carriage sidings at the south end of Cricklewood depot will take place. There will be lengthy bus service running between St Pancras International and St Albans, some running non-stop, others calling at all stations. You should allow for up to 75 minutes longer journey time if coming from London. Further details available from National Rail Enquiries.
Last edited by Peter Gibbons on Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter G
Peter Gibbons
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby JRB » Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:04 pm

.................& it's a long walk from St. Albans Abbey.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby MRFS » Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:12 am

Coo. Thanks for the tips. I shall come via St Albans Abbey, I detest RRBS.

kbarber wrote:I'm now going to have to slide off quickly after a fairly quick lunch... my sister has decided that is to be the day of a Family Barbeque!

Does that still make the pub a DLPU (or are you not a Driveller)?
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby John Webb » Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:32 am

Peter Gibbons wrote:Unfortunately I'm not able to make this.

For those of you who are going, and intend travelling to St Albans by rail, please be warned that because on engineering works, East Midlands services will only run from the north as far as Luton and may be subject to delay or cancellation south of Kettering. Thameslink services will only run between St Albans and Bedford. This is because a redundant bridge between Elstree and Radlett is to demolished, also commissioning of new carriage sidings at the south end of Cricklewood depot will take place. There will be lengthy bus service running between St Pancras International and St Albans, some running non-stop, others calling at all stations. You should allow for up to 75 minutes longer journey time if coming from London. Further details available from National Rail Enquiries.

Thanks for that, Peter. I only found out from the local press yesterday that there were no trains running into St Albans City station from the south and was about to post something, but you beat me to it!

For anyone coming from St Albans Abbey and who wishes to walk, the best route is to turn LEFT out of the Abbey station approach road, turn left again at the roundabout a short way up the road and go past the Sainsbury's supermarket - this will lead you to a crossing back over the railway line and the start of the "Alban Way" - the old Hatfield - St Albans branch. Follow this until you pass through a 'new' estate and find yourself at the former London Road station. Bear left just before the station building and come up to a small roundabout in London Road. Cross straight over into Grosvenor Road, walk up that until you can turn right into Ridgmont Road - follow that straight up and you will find us at the top end just beyond the vehicle bollards separating the two parts of Ridgmont Road. This route avoids a steep climb into the busy centre of St Albans and a significant drop down again to get to us and is a lot freer of traffic besides giving you a chance to see the old station!

I will respond to those who've sent me PMs to give my mobile number in case you need to contact me on the day.
John Webb
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Webb » Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:18 pm

URGENT

We learnt today that on Saturday and Sunday, due to the works taking place on the main line South of St Albans
THERE WILL BE NO VEHICULAR ACCESS TO THE STATION CARPARK ADJACENT TO THE SIGNAL BOX.

The car park is being used, we are told, both for the replacement bus service and for plant access to the track.

Alternative Parking:
(a) The public part of Ridgmont Road from Grosvenor Road, off London Road, up to the NR boundary. Other than the top end where there are double yellow lines to keep a turning area clear, there are no restrictions on Saturday. Most of the other nearby roads have parking limited mainly to residents or time-controlled, even on a Saturday.
(b) The station's multi-storey carpark, almost opposite the box, is open. Parking at weekends is £2.50 for any length of time.

I'll also drop everyone who responded by PM a message to draw attention to the above. I don't see any reason why the get-together shouldn't go ahead!
John Webb
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby JRB » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:41 pm

I won't make it this time but doubtless patience will be rewarded.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby MRFS » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:53 am

Seems like the fates are against you - I'm still intending to make it as it's my last free Saturday for a while (people will keep getting married and/or organising peal attempts).
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby John Webb » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:10 am

There will be 8-10 people from the Forum plus 3 from the Box. So despite all those things working against us, we shall carry on!

For those unable to come on this occasion, if you are going to be in the St Albans area at any time, contact me by PM and we may be able to arrange to show you round.
John Webb
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:33 pm

I will still be there.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box