Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Summer meet up 2015 St Albans

Comments and questions about the forum

Re: Summer meet up 2015 St Albans

Unread postby John Webb » Sun Jun 21, 2015 4:35 pm

A couple of views from yesterday:

Glad you all enjoyed yourselves - sorry again about the pub lunch slip-up.
John Webb
(Member, St Albans Signalbox Trust)
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Stuart Johnson » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:12 pm

After a swift pint in the Great Northern, we used modern gadgetry to find the White Hart Tap, in Keyfield, which did us an excellent lunch- so no need to feel guilty!

I'm sure everyone will join me in thanking John and his colleagues for making us welcome at the box, and congratulating the Trust on their achievements. It was inspiring to see what can be done to bring a signal box back to life and put it firmly into the local community.
Stuart J
Stuart Johnson

Unread postby Pete2320 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:31 pm

I'll go along with Stuart in thanking John Webb for an excellent day.
St Albans South is well worth a visit for anybody interested in signalling.

Pete.
Pete
Pete2320
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby kbarber » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:12 am

My thanks as well, good to meet MRFS in the flesh at last after conversations here and elsewhere (a virtual pub, would you believe) and to catch up with other friends old & new as well. Thanks to St Albans for hosting, wish I could get up there a little more often.

Apologies for having to dive out early and abruptly; pleased the second half went well.
kbarber
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby JRB » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:19 am

I'm glad it went well. At least you were spared my presence.
Last edited by JRB on Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
JRB
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Webb » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:30 am

I'm pleased you found somewhere to eat. And thanks for all the compliments - I can't remember if I mentioned visitor figures at all, but we're running at around 2,000 a year currently.

If any Forum members are unable to make our normal Open Afternoons (or our 6 extended open days) but happen to be in or around St Albans, please PM me in advance and we may be able to give you a private view, although not everything may be up and running as I was able to arrange for Saturday's visit.
John Webb
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Fast Line Floyd » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:34 am

I too had a truly excellent day, a big thank you to John and the rest of the St Albans team and I wish you well for the future.
Graham
Fast Line Floyd
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby Richard Pike » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:42 pm

I'm afraid it clashed with the annual event at the Arlesey Light Railway and the Binns Road day in Potton.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MRFS » Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:48 pm

Splendid day all round, many thanks John to you and the team at St Albans. Good to (finally) meet Keith as he says.

If you do have any other visitors that are after a pub lunch, I would recommend the White Hart Tap. Really good.

I'm not sure why I'm waving my arms around in the second pic - what were we talking about Pete?
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby StevieG » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:08 pm

Stuart Johnson wrote: " .... I'm sure everyone will join me in thanking John and his colleagues for making us welcome at the box, and congratulating the Trust on their achievements. It was inspiring to see what can be done to bring a signal box back to life and put it firmly into the local community. "
Very much so : Thank you John (& Rob, plus colleague 'outside') very much for the excellent visit on Saturday.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby StevieG » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:11 pm

Richard Pike wrote:I'm afraid it clashed with the annual event at the Arlesey Light Railway and the Binns Road day in Potton.
.... Now you tell us ! .... :D
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Webb » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:40 am

A couple of you commented that it had taken some time to get through St Albans on Saturday - I have found out (and should have known, really) it was the annual St Alban's Pilgrimage Weekend with numerous events going on round the city!

Next time I'll try and ensure any get-together we have at St Albans doesn't clash with a railway shut-down and the Pilgrimage weekend!

An amusing aside from Sunday - there was a very small private visit around lunchtime, during which we were invaded by some engineers with spare parts for a broken-down tamper to the north of the station. It seems they thought we were NR people and could tell them of a nearer access point than the one adjacent to the box! We knew there wasn't one, and in the end they had to cart everything the length of the station.
John Webb
John Webb
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby MRFS » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:23 pm

John Webb wrote:A couple of you commented that it had taken some time to get through St Albans on Saturday - I have found out (and should have known, really) it was the annual St Alban's Pilgrimage Weekend with numerous events going on round the city!

Aha! That explains the high concentration of dog collars and cassocks when Pete and myself got off the train at SAA.
ND: Why is there a door handle on the inside of my airing cupboard?
MF: Because it's the fire exit from Narnia.

I like David Lynch films. I don't consider incomprehension to be a barrier to enjoyment.
MRFS

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:44 pm

It only took me 50 minutes from the other side of town! When I finally got to the front of the traffic jam there was a Road Closed sign at which 50% of vehicles turned back and the other 50% drove round. I couldn't possibly say which category I fell in (cough) but I can confirm that Chequer Street was completely deserted.

But it was worth it to see two lines being operated at the box, I was wondering why Harpenden Junction and Napsbury weren't turning the locals in. Next time all four will be operating, hopefully. Looking forward to hearing the coal trains whistle up and 2-2-4 TES being sent. And also watching others get in a knot working the junction.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Richard Pike » Wed Jun 24, 2015 4:37 pm

I made an appearance today with some colleagues and got a cuppa and a look round. We are pre-testing the circuitry for the turnback siding renewal this weekend.. Many thanks to John for the tea and chat. It's looking rather nice.
Richard..
Richard Pike
Main line box
Main line box

PreviousNext

Return to About this forum