Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Forums' Operational Quirk?

Comments and questions about the forum

Forums' Operational Quirk?

Unread postby StevieG » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:27 pm

Just a minor technical query; out of curiosity only, as it doesn't cause me any problem; [and in fact I only discovered it comparatively recently].

From the forums' full Index page, I normally go straight to a desired individual forum (' - historical', ' - current', etc.) : No problem.

But I notice that if I try going (from the main index) to what looks like next-level-down by clicking on a section main heading, e.g. "Signalling discussion" [ as displayed as the central item in the chain "Board index » Signalling discussion » Signalling - historical" seen above that forum ] : - ("Other discussion" or "Who is online" act the same way); ... it results in the topics of that section being listed quite normally, but with the same main heading below them, followed by "You do not have the required permissions to read topics within this forum".

As I say, it causes no actual topic access problems (that I am aware of), as all topics seem freely accessible direct from the full index : Just thought it worth raising out of interest.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Re: Forums' Operational Quirk?

Unread postby Mike Hodgson » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:54 pm

I have seen something similar, possibly related but not necessarily. I sometimes get that error message after reading a few postings. It goes away if I refresh the screen (press F5) and I get prompted to log on again, so it seems as though I am being logged out for some reason. But again, it is not a real problem, just a minor idiosyncracy of the system, so I really wouldn't want anybody to waste much time investigating the cause.
Mike Hodgson
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby limitofshunt » Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:09 pm

It's because the top-level boards don't allow posting, they're there for categorisation of the other forums.

For example:

Board Index
-> Other discussion => is a container only for 'About this forum' and 'RailRef & ELR'
-> About this forum => is an open forum where people can post

or

Board Index
-> Signalling discussion => organises all the signalling related boards
-> Signalling - current => open forum

On the forum homepage you'll notice three dark blue headers: Information, Signalling Discussion and Other Discussion. These three are links which take you to the same boards you're talking about.

HTH

Jonathon
limitofshunt
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby StevieG » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks very much folks.
I think I follow that, and as an explanation it more than accords with my limited guesswork on the subject.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Return to About this forum