Rest-day relief

Unread postby Keith » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:18 pm

Must be the excellent new format!
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:51 am

Keith wrote:Must be the excellent new format!

Or it is taking everybody ten times as long to figure everything out!

:o)

J
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Keith » Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:29 pm

signalman wrote:Or it is taking everybody ten times as long to figure everything out!

I thought about that but, even if it has an element of truth, the fact that we reached thirteen before any of the changeover started shows that the forum is genuinely gaining popularity. 8)

I was thinking a while ago that it would have been appropriate if we'd broken the record ten days earlier - as a celebration of the forum's first birthday. :roll:
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby SDL » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:16 pm

I see that the record leapt from 14 to 30 users yesterday evening!

I guess someone has posted a link to this forum in another forum and that has attracted a number of curious guests.
SDL, Signalling Design Lad - closing a signal box near you with the mere stroke of a green pencil.
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:56 pm

30 viewing is suspect because we haven't gained any registrations since 12th November, so it could well be a load of search engine spiders having a snoop round despite there being a universally standard file telling them not to.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Weichenhebel » Thu Dec 4, 2008 9:30 pm

SDL wrote:I see that the record leapt from 14 to 30 users yesterday evening!
I guess someone has posted a link to this forum in another forum and that has attracted a number of curious guests.
May be. Or somebody/somebodies started the registration process over and over again, and never completed it (deliberately or otherwise). These unfinished registrations in phpbb seem to take a long while to time out.
Weichenhebel
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby SDL » Thu Dec 4, 2008 9:38 pm

Weichenhebel wrote:
SDL wrote:I see that the record leapt from 14 to 30 users yesterday evening!
May be. Or somebody/somebodies started the registration process over and over again, and never completed it (deliberately or otherwise). These unfinished registrations in phpbb seem to take a long while to time out.

Well whatever it was, it happened again two or three days ago, when I noticed that 20 guests were apparently viewing the forum simultaneously.
SDL, Signalling Design Lad - closing a signal box near you with the mere stroke of a green pencil.
SDL
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby Weichenhebel » Sat Dec 6, 2008 2:11 pm

signalman wrote: it could well be a load of search engine spiders having a snoop round despite there being a universally standard file telling them not to.
Why are search engines banned? The forum is readable by unregistered humans, so why not by unregistered spiders?

Ok, DI, I fully understand that (a) it's your forum so you run it the way you want (b) you don't have to justify your choices. I'm only curious...
Weichenhebel
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Dec 6, 2008 4:34 pm

Well, the original idea was that it would discourage the automated hacking and spamming attempts by by not being easily found, but doubtless there are many links to it and spammers robots have no respect for spidering restrictions anyway. So I am probably wasting my time but it has to be said I haven't had any spamming aggravation yet.

In fact, as of yesterday, some extra security filtering has been added to the server that would probably prevent these bots getting near any pages on the server, so maybe I could relax things a little anyway.

Of course nothing prevents spammers doing things manually but generally speaking they don't.

You would be amazed at the proportion of site visits that are automated probes - 22 were identified within 90 minutes of the server security update yesterday - they are just looking for leaks and holes to get in, if the server software or web sites are not up to date.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Weichenhebel » Sat Dec 6, 2008 5:12 pm

Thank you for your explanation.
Weichenhebel
Branch line box
Branch line box

Unread postby Keith » Sun Dec 7, 2008 12:48 am

signalman wrote:... it could well be a load of search engine spiders having a snoop round despite there being a universally standard file telling them not to.

Does that mean that when I search on a well known (or less well known) search engine for a specific signal box and get the answer "www.signalbox.org/gallery/..." they are breaking the rules? I've certainly never had an answer "www.signalbox.org/forum/...", so maybe that's the only bit that would be breaking the rules.
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Dec 7, 2008 4:43 am

Keith wrote:Does that mean that when I search on a well known (or less well known) search engine for a specific signal box and get the answer "www.signalbox.org/gallery/..." they are breaking the rules? I've certainly never had an answer "www.signalbox.org/forum/...", so maybe that's the only bit that would be breaking the rules.

At present the only spidering restriction is on the forum area.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Keith » Mon Jan 5, 2009 11:42 pm

First time I've seen seven registered users on line!
Keith
Keith
Special Class Relief
Special Class Relief

Unread postby Alan Norris » Tue Jan 6, 2009 8:25 am

Keith wrote:First time I've seen seven registered users on line!

Just proves what I said about insomniacs - I was well tucked up in bed by that time!
Alan Norris
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Return to About this forum