Signals

THE SIGNAL BOX

Railway signalling discussion

Amberley block post

Current and future British signalling (UK except Northern Ireland)

Unread postby John Hinson » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:57 pm

Chris Osment wrote:A variation on this theme perhaps would be the non-knee frame installed in the old Porters Room at Corfe Castle in BR days.

Not really a variation - as has already been pointed out there was no consistent use of frame type.

Chris Osment wrote:However,going back to the booking-office examples, was it not more usually the case that these frames were not actually installed IN the BO, but rather in front of it and then the BO extended out around it?

Not so - as has already been pointed out there was no consistent arrangement.

I respectfully refer you once again to http://www.signalbox.org/gallery/s/martinmill.htm for an example that illustrates both points.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Chris Osment » Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:51 am

I wrote
A variation on this theme perhaps would be the non-knee frame installed in the old Porters Room at Corfe Castle in BR days.

The DI then wrote
Not really a variation - as has already been pointed out there was no consistent use of frame type.

Perhaps I should have made myself clearer in that my 'variation' was referring to the use of the Porter's Room instead than the Booking Office - as the DI has pointed out, variation in the type of frame had been mentioned already.
Chris Osment
West Country Railway Archives
www.railwest.org.uk
Chris Osment
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby StevieG » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:13 pm

John wrote :

Many thanks for good photos.

That of the exterior demonstrates quite clearly that this frame was enclosed later, as the structure does not align with the canopy supports.

Amberley's structure, neatly enclosing the space between two successive canopy supports, suggests that the frame was positioned to facilitate its enclosure in that way.
StevieG.

StevieG
Double-manned box
Double-manned box

Unread postby John Hinson » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:05 pm

StevieG wrote:J
That of the exterior demonstrates quite clearly that this frame was enclosed later, as the structure does not align with the canopy supports.

If you are talking of Sheffield Park I don't think there is any dispute that it was "boxed" in at a very late date - if I'm not mistaken this was actually done by the Bluebell Railway.

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Martin Shaw » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:27 pm

There were quite a few two box stations rationalised by the SR with a new/seconhand open frame (both knee and full size) on the platform surrounded by iron railings, As well as Sheffield Park, both Mayfield and Waldron on the Cuckoo line had this, Mayfield certainly having a full size frame which looks as though it is of S&F origin. Both the Cuckoo Line stations had the frame enclosed in BR days. The enclosure of the frame at Sheffield Park was done by the Bluebell in 1961. I also believe Falmer, which certainly had a knee frame, started out in the open.

Regards
Martin
Martin Shaw
Rest-day relief
Rest-day relief

Unread postby rjh » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:13 pm

signalman wrote:If you are talking of Sheffield Park I don't think there is any dispute that it was "boxed" in at a very late date - if I'm not mistaken this was actually done by the Bluebell Railway.

John

According to:
http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/blueb ... boxes.html
"... This remained the situation throughout BR days and only changed when, faced with ever larger crowds on the platform, the Bluebell, after its first year of operation, constructed the present signal box around the ground frame. "
The first year of operation was 1960 (7th August until the end of October, running at weekends only).

Regards, Rodney
rjh
Crossing box
Crossing box

Amberley

Unread postby forestade » Sun Mar 2, 2008 4:08 pm

Below is a link to a photo. of the 'block' I have just found in my collection.

[ADMIN EDIT - changed to off-site link as this image is too large - please see "About this forum"]

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh137/forestade/Signalling/Amberley-May1999.jpg
forestade
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Tim Lockley » Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:58 pm

Concerning Amberley: The last-but-one time I was there, on the way to/from the 2' line in the nearby chalkpits museum (recommended, BTW) I had a peer through the windows. The box was switched out, but I remember clearly being able to hear the bells ring. Was that standard on the Southern, or a local quirk? (Just in case everyone else is out of step but me, I should explain that on my patch turning a block switch makes everything go dead, bells & blocks)
Tim L
Lincoln GPR
Lindsey Railways Joint Administration (16mm scale)
Tim Lockley
Crossing box
Crossing box

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:20 pm

I also heard the block bells at Amberley when I was standing outside on the platform - I think I mentioned that in my original posting(?) It may have been felt worth leaving the bells in circuit as an aid to whoever was manning the booking office even if the block post wasn't operational.

On the North Warwickshire line in the old days the stations such as Yardley Wood, Grimes Hill & Wythall and other stations that didn't have a signal box had the booking offices equipped with GWR double-line block repeaters of the same type that you would find fitted in level crossing ground frame cabins. Again they were intended to aid the station staff.

Which raises a question - was that standard GWR practice at stations that had manned booking offices but no signal box?

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Unread postby John Hinson » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:07 am

Tim Lockley wrote:Concerning Amberley: The last-but-one time I was there, on the way to/from the 2' line in the nearby chalkpits museum (recommended, BTW) I had a peer through the windows. The box was switched out, but I remember clearly being able to hear the bells ring. Was that standard on the Southern, or a local quirk? (Just in case everyone else is out of step but me, I should explain that on my patch turning a block switch makes everything go dead, bells & blocks)

Hi Tim,

Quite a common practice on the Southern but not universally so. I think the idea was to keep platform staff conversant with the running of trains. If that person happened to also be the one that manned the box, all well and good, but I'm not sure how many of other staff would accurately understand what was going on.

Unrelated - I was transferring some long-ago scanned images to CD yesterday and came across one of Amberley, so for those who don't know the location, this is the place we have been talking about:

[img]http://signalbox.org/forum_files/amberley[JH].jpg[/img]

Best wishes,

John
‹(•¿•)›
John Hinson
Site Admin
Site Admin

Unread postby Peter Jordan » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:20 am

Nice picture, John. If I had the equipment to scan slides I'd let folk see my picture of the interior with the 'knee' frame and the 'Brighton' 2-position blocks.

Peter Jordan
Peter Jordan
Main line box
Main line box

Previous

Return to Signalling - current